Menu

Dartmouth anyone?

DOes anyone have any knowledge of Dartmouth? I am trying to find colleges for DD to apply to that have good academics, would be a match for her personally, and would be a free ride for her since we really need to save money for child 3 and for her law degree possibly. I know that she would need to raise her ACT score a bit but think that is potentially doable. I have never been in NH except by the coast and really don't know much about Dartmouth except it is very friendly to military and doesn't require SAT 2s plus that it is considered a very good college and is hard to get into.

Dartmouth does not give merit aid--only financial. Are you aware of that?

I know a faculty member at Dartmouth who told me that one of the first things new students at Dartmouth do is go to LL Bean in Freeport for down jackets. It is cold there! But an excellent school. The student body tends to be more conservative than at some of the other Ivies for what that is worth.

Jane

Dartmouth is a great school :)

It is in a nice town but fairly remote for anything Hanover doesn't offer. It does get cold in the winter but most college students don't mind. I grew up about 30 minutes away from Hanover across the river in Vermont.

As a high school senior I took a Calculus class at Dartmouth and I had friends taking History and English classes. I don't recall any issues on campus or in any of our classes that would concern me as a parent.

Jane, We don't care about any aid at all except for the GI Bill and a fully funded Yellow Ribbon program and Dartmouth meets that criteria. The Yellow Ribbon program is great since it gives the GI Bill recipient up to all the leftover costs for the program after the GI Bill. Dartmouth fully funds it (the VA doubles the Yellow Ribbon amount the school chips in) and they do it for an unlimited amount of students who qualify. That is why I consider very military friendly.

Jane, We don't care about any aid at all except for the GI Bill and a fully funded Yellow Ribbon program and Dartmouth meets that criteria. The Yellow Ribbon program is great since it gives the GI Bill recipient up to all the leftover costs for the program after the GI Bill. Dartmouth fully funds it (the VA doubles the Yellow Ribbon amount the school chips in) and they do it for an unlimited amount of students who qualify. That is why I consider very military friendly.

Well then Dartmouth looks even more attractive for your student. How common is this?

Last year there were quite a number of schools but I don't know about this year since schools have until MAy 22 to get their new agreements in. I really think it is a win win situation for many schools. THey get payments from the government equal in many cases to 30K or more. They may end up giving a scholarship of 10 or 15K but that isn't much when your costs are 55k. Dartmouth's former president was a key leader in pushing for this legislation. Other schools that do this range from small liberal arts schools, to specialty schools, to large universities. She will have a lot of choices but not the same kinds as others. She is grateful for this and even though her favorite school at the moment is probably out (they only do 5 YR kids at a time and they did 3 the first year and 2 the second year so none for her year unless they change their minds and add more YR scholarships).