Menu

Is there any subject that just makes your eyes glaze over?

My 14yo LOVES her Philosophy of Mind course from the Teaching Company. Unfortunately, she wants to discuss it with me. I don't want to know about it. It makes my brain hurt.

I will admit that there are occasional things that come up in the course that are pretty neat. Today's lecture was about memory persistence.

Watch this video (it's clean) and see if you notice.

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/basketball.html

Most of the stuff in the course makes my brain hurt, but there have been occasional neat things that were interesting to me. All of it has been fascinating for my dd.

Fortunately, my husband loves science, so I handed that subject over to him when they were still in elementary school. He's done a wonderful job -- they both have a love for science that I could not possibly have instilled in them!

Funny memory: When my son was jr. high age, he liked his Apologia book (physical science, maybe?) so well that he would read it to me and then ask me the questions in the text. I literally fell asleep on the couch during this torture and didn't wake up until he asked me, "Mom, are you thinking or sleeping?"

Blessings,

Debbie

Logic. ugh.

I agree. Logic made my eyes glaze over. We made it through Traditional Logic I, but I couldn't muster up any energy for II. We gave up. My dd and I both sat there with glazed eyes trying to force ourselves through it. We both hated it. One morning I stated that I thought it was stupid and a waste of time. We never picked it up again. :D

Oh yeah, anatomy and physiology. I am just not a "medical" person. My eyes go completely vacant and I have to remind myself not to drool while dd regales me with tales from "paramedic class".

However, she can jolt me back to reality when she starts talking i.v.'s, good veins, and needing practice...thankfully not allowed to practice at home unless granny the licensed teaching R.N. supervises and the medical director issues a prescription for the paraphenalia. As soon as she gets excited about poking people, I begin pulling my shirt sleeves down tight.

I'm going to have a mental breakdown if any of the other kids choose the medical field!

Faith

I agree. Logic made my eyes glaze over. We made it through Traditional Logic I, but I couldn't muster up any energy for II. We gave up. My dd and I both sat there with glazed eyes trying to force ourselves through it. We both hated it. One morning I stated that I thought it was stupid and a waste of time. We never picked it up again. :D

:iagree:That is the dryest most boring program I ever forced my dd to do!

I am a bit of an all rounder- I like writing, grammar, maths, life sciences, chemisty. Physics I dislike so we outsourced.

Basically, I dislike marking. I like teaching, andlearning alogside the kids. I dont like marking.

I did notice the other day that I may have a budding polician on my hands. My ds14 had to do an assignment of designing a form of government that combined the best of communism and democracy. He raved to me about it! He wrote a page- incredible for him! He even mentioned something like "its my calling" during his rave! Scary! I cant believe I could possibly have bred a politician since it is SO not my interest, but there you go. Maybe all this classical education will be good for something after all.

I can't teach higher math and science. It isn't that it makes my eyes glaze over, it's just that I was rotten at them in school and don't have the background to really teach it. So we outsource. I'd love to actually relearn math. In fact that what I've decided to do with my 4th child! I am studying math right alongside him so I can finally understand it. He's working through Saxon 6/5 right now! I mean some stuff I do remember or I get my dh to help me but really I need to start all over again! As for science, I never had any confidence when I was in school studying the stuff, but now that I'm older, I find it really interesting, so hopefully I learn more of that too.

The one subject that truly did make my eyes glaze over has been mentioned before: Logic, specifically Traditional Logic. That has got to be the driest course we ever attempted. Oh my. I could not get through it all. I highly recommend Classical Academic Press Logic books. 100% better!

Fortunately, my husband loves science, so I handed that subject over to him when they were still in elementary school. He's done a wonderful job -- they both have a love for science that I could not possibly have instilled in them!

Funny memory: When my son was jr. high age, he liked his Apologia book (physical science, maybe?) so well that he would read it to me and then ask me the questions in the text. I literally fell asleep on the couch during this torture and didn't wake up until he asked me, "Mom, are you thinking or sleeping?"

Blessings,

Debbie

:lol:

Oh yeah, anatomy and physiology. I am just not a "medical" person. My eyes go completely vacant and I have to remind myself not to drool while dd regales me with tales from "paramedic class".

However, she can jolt me back to reality when she starts talking i.v.'s, good veins, and needing practice...thankfully not allowed to practice at home unless granny the licensed teaching R.N. supervises and the medical director issues a prescription for the paraphenalia. As soon as she gets excited about poking people, I begin pulling my shirt sleeves down tight.

I'm going to have a mental breakdown if any of the other kids choose the medical field!

Faith

:lol:

This is a great thread!!! :lol:

Literary analysis!! I like good books. I love to read. I enjoy literature. Why anyone thinks it's important to slice it up into little pieces and kill good books is beyond me.

Heather

Yep, and then your kids find out that the answers are subjective- "ANSWERS WILL VARY" DD said, You mean there are no RIGHT answers? "Then what is the point??? Can't I just enjoy the book?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy SWB's story about her brother (the hive computer guy :001_smile: ) who did poorly in Freshman comp because he was required to keep a journal about his daily impressions/expectations. To him it was just another day.

You know I never got chemistry at all in high school. But when my oldest two took a chemistry course and I would help them study for their tests, I actually started to see value in it. The world around us is chemicals. And in our modern culture as consumers we buy chemicals all the time and they affect our health and environment. I mean our food, what we clean our house and clothes with, medicine, so many household items that are made from chemical processes. So I actually started to see the relevancy of learning chemistry just to be an informed consumer in this day and age. Hopefully my current high schooler will be taking chemistry in his junior year and I am looking forward to studying it with him.