Menu

HOD Preparing/MFW ECC

MrsMe

Is any of the Science activities a duplicate of previous programs? I know a few in Bigger are duplicates of Beyond. As far as ECC goes, how simple are the activities. I get scared of activities that come from a science book.

Also does Preparing study any countries or is that in CTC? Is that in CTC if not in Preparing?

After looking at MFW ECC, we've had zero geography as far as other countries go. And I'm wondering if there is anything in Preparing that would do this or is it strictly pointing a finger saying here it is. If so, do you think that is enough at this level? DD will be 10 in the fall.

Has anyone combined some of MFW ECC with HOD Preparing? Preparing is an overview, then it goes from Creation to Christ, Rome to Ref. MFW does a world geography then goes into a Creation to Christ.

Would it be helpful to have an ECC sort of program before an overview of biblical history?

We did a 1/2 year of ECC before we quit. Studying JUST Geography (even though it WAS missions focused and that did appeal to me) for one year got very old for all of the dc. The science in ECC was light and there were not enough experiments for my science-minded boys. We supplemented. For us, I didn't find studying Geography to be of any benefit before studying History. We are doing Preparing next year and had already done Ancients and Rome-Ref. (and dd13 had Moderns and American) before we started ECC. Not having had Geo. before the study of History didn't hinder my dc.

I haven't had a chance to look through Preparing to see what the Science is like. We do plan to use CKE Earth and Space as a supplement if it is light. I will have a 7th grader doing Preparing and I don't think the Science in there will be enough for him. As for Geography in Preparing...I do think that there is some. I also point out countries as we study the History anyway, but I can only imagine that Carrie has put some of that in the Preparing curriculum. I will look over the manual this evening and post more later.

So Sue.... I was thinking of pulling some items from ECC. I thought too that a full year of geography was sort of a drag, but yet like you, I liked the missions focus. Something about missions and a typical 10 yr old dd (self-centered age) seemed like a good idea.

So in that sense, what did you think then of Global Art and the missions stories that ECC uses? I thought to incorporate some of that. Preparing does use Hero Tales though.

It looks like Summer has the same idea!

My ds will be using the following for his 3rd grade year.

History

Heart of Dakota Bigger---Includes History, Bible, Geography, Poetry, Dictation, Narration, Copywork

Extension Package added in as Read Alouds

Reading

SL Regular Readers 2 (If he finishes these early I will get some American History books to read)

Math

CLE Math - Finish 2 then start 3

LA

CLE LA 2

Handwriting

Cheerful Cursive

Writing

Finish Writing with Ease 2, start Writing with Ease 3 or Writing Tales

Missionary Studies

Missionary Stories with the Millers, From Akebu to Zapotec, and other stuff as I add it in.

Now I am going to stay off of these message boards for the rest of the year as much as possible so I don't change my mind:lol:!

It looks like Summer has the same idea!

I had the hardest time deciding between MFW and HOD. I really love the mission focus in SL and MFW. It almost was a deal breaker for me, until I realized that I can add my own missions study to HOD, and have the best of both worlds:tongue_smilie:.

I had the hardest time deciding between MFW and HOD. I really love the mission focus in SL and MFW. It almost was a deal breaker for me, until I realized that I can add my own missions study to HOD, and have the best of both worlds:tongue_smilie:.

This is what I'm thinking. The Hero Tales are a common book. I also have the Millers' missions book, I think I could add some aspects of ECC to HOD. Maybe global art. I'd like that book basket list too. :glare: And probably add a bible atlas.

This is what I'm thinking. The Hero Tales are a common book. I also have the Millers' missions book, I think I could add some aspects of ECC to HOD. Maybe global art. I'd like that book basket list too. :glare: And probably add a bible atlas.

Maybe you could find a cheap used ECC manual, so that you would have the booklist.

Here's a recent discussion of ECC that I learned a lot from. NOT trying to get anyone to jump ship from WTM forum!! Not.at.all. Just thought this would help OP!

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=74870

I heard ECC was a little advanced. DD will be in 4th though. But I think I've decided to just plug in countries wherever they happen to mention them as we go through HOD. I just get that nagging feeling that HOD is better for us. I'm really drawn to MFW. So I may buy a few books that MFW uses.

Lovedtodeath: I used to be part of that swap and had to dump an email address because of spam. I may sign up for it again. Some programs you really can't tell until you just sit and read everything over. I could do that with a used copy.

I found ECC to be a bit advance. The worksheets were designed for older students although there is so much more to ECC than the worksheets! I'm probably not a good one to ask b/c we only got 1/2 way through. Others really loved ECC...just didn't work for us. I'm so hoping HOD works better. Otherwise, I'm just going to give up and do my own thing until the next year when we give CtG a try!