Menu

Do colleges really accept this? (personal experiences)

How often do colleges accept home made diplomas and transcripts? We are thinking of just buying curriculum from all different places and then putting together our own transcript and getting our own diploma online and signing it and stuff.

Personal experiences with colleges?

Much of this has been covered on the College Board part of this forum. May I suggest that you search those posts so that participants need not repeat themselves?

Kareni offers a scrubbed transcript and other documents to those who inquire. Check the Experts Board for this.

Good luck,

Jane

:001_huh:

Tigersgrowl, I think you'd do just fine to make your own transcript and all. What's great is that you're putting it all together yourself, so if college admissions has any questions, or during an interview, you'll be well equipped to answer. :) From what I've read, keeping good records on the curriculum used, scope of the course and all makes it so much easier to put one together. I'd also keep a list of all the books you read, whether for a class or not. For the diploma, just have your parents sign it, and you can give your home school whatever name you like. Many add the name Academy at the end as it has a nice ring. Keep up the good work of putting together your high school education! :)

It's all I use and plan on continuing to use. However, a transcript CAN be more than just a list of courses and grades. It can include test scores like APs and SAT2s, outside course work like dual enrollment or online classes, accomplishments like Eagle, volunteer work, competitions, etc.

My dd17 applied to a state university here in GA as a homeschooler and they wanted her to show 1 of 3 choices:

1. used an accredited program which would make her application no different from ps seniors

2. have a portfolio of work and tests from every homeschool course not accredited

3. take at least 6 of the SAT subject tests (dd was thinking about taking this route but it confused the heck out of the admissions officer. She said she had never seen anyone try this.)

Realizing the amount of work we'd have to do for #2 at the late date we started, dd17 decided to finish her work with a long distance accredited school.

I guess GA just bites.