Menu

Gothic Lit Course

I imagine this will be a rather obscure request, but does anyone know of any online literature classes with a gothic focus? My son will be doing Mississippi History this summer, including Mississippi writers whose works often fall in the Southern Gothic category. I think he would really enjoy reading and comparing these works to other works that aren't based in the South.

http://personal.georgiasouthern.edu/~dougt/lg.html Great information here. Google southern gothic syllabus and you will find many book lists, resources etc Best of luck as it sounds fantastic! Funny I never knew any of these authors were any other genre than simply southern. Find one who is not gothic with a sense of the absurd and grotesque and I will show you a yankee.:lol: Having had the privilege of growing up with grandparents from Creole /Cajun south I never found any of these works of fiction to be anything but familiar and frankly, too kind to their subjects. I love my family but that side is crazier than anything in Faulkner or O Connor ever dreamed of. If you like A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole I highly recommend it on audio. Unbelievably funny and tragic.

dd2 took a one semester Gothic lit class at a local coop a couple of years ago. They read:

The Castle of Otranto -- Horace Walpole

The Mysteries of Udolpho -or - The Italian -- Ann Radcliffe

Northanger Abbey -- Jane Austen

Frankenstein -- Mary Shelley

Romeo and Juliet -- William Shakespeare

They also team-wrote their own gothic novel. The Castle of Otranto is a hoot. We all listened to it in the car.

HTH

~Moira