Menu

Looking for a music curriculum.

My ds, who will be 5th grade next year, is a natural musician. He has been taking guitar this year and doing fairly well, although he doesn't really like to practice. He just needs a basic grounding in music concepts like notes and rhythm, scales and chords, etc.

I know how to read music and sing. I can play the piano a little, and played the clarinet in high school. So, I don't need a lot of hand holding, just a basic sequence from easy to harder concepts, so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I like Alfred's piano, but it just seemed a little dry and there were so many different books to integrate. Is there something a little more fun that you've used?

Thanks for any help!

Julie

I'm planning to use Alfred's All-in-One adult course for my kids. My youngest is taking guitar and loves it, but asked me to start teaching her piano over the summer. My middle dd needs a fine arts credit for high school. Out of all the options I put before her, she decided that she'd rather try piano lessons. I really thought she'd go for art history or music history rather than anything with performance. She wants to at least start off with me as her teacher. I can get my kids through the first level of Alfred's, but they'll have to go with an actual music teacher if they want to go beyond that.