Menu

Just got my copy of Campbell/Reece Biology...

It's the regular one - black with the white spiral thing on the front (the description says it's a bird's nest fern). I chose it because I wanted a more robust Biology than Apologia and I don't purchase BJU stuff. DIVE had a syllabus to go with it. I'm hoping she'll take the CLEP after but I hadn't thought about the AP. She'll be taking Anatomy and Physiology in 12th (or maybe 11th) as her advanced science because she's interested in Nursing.

Heather

It's the regular one - black with the white spiral thing on the front (the description says it's a bird's nest fern). I chose it because I wanted a more robust Biology than Apologia and I don't purchase BJU stuff. DIVE had a syllabus to go with it. I'm hoping she'll take the CLEP after but I hadn't thought about the AP.

Has your DD already taken an Intro Bio course? Does she have a good background in Chemistry? Campbell & Reece is a rigorous, college-level, biology-for-majors text often used for AP courses. (Our state university uses it as the primary text for their 4-semester Biology Majors core sequence.) Also, be sure to check with any colleges your DD is interested in, because many do not accept CLEPs for courses that are required by the major; if she's thinking of a nursing program, the Biology CLEP may not be useful.

I'm curious as to why you chose this particular combination of (a) lectures which are designed to cover high-school-level biology from a Creationist viewpoint with (b) a rigorous college-level textbook that takes a decidedly evolutionary approach? It doesn't seem like a very good match to me. :confused:

Jackie

My dd used the lower level Campbell, Concepts and Connections in 9th grade. She did well with it and did well on the AP test, but the text was far beyond high school level IMO. I would only attempt to use it with someone with a strong science background, especially in chemistry. Certain kids who are really motivated can do well with it without taking a revious Biology course.

I chose Prentice Hall Exploring Life for my other dd.