Menu

CynthiainOK can you help?

I am trying to decide between MFW high school or WVWW for my entering 9th grade son. I'd like to do Starting Points, but his 12th grade year will be at Calvary Bible College so I only have 3 years to work with him for High School.

Is WVWW doable if I'm not doing everthing with him? I will be teaching my 7th grader as well. (May use Starting Points with her).

I know that MFW provides answers to the questions so that I know what they should be somewhat. With WVWW would I need to read the materials as well or is there another way to know they are understanding it?

Thanks so much

Sandra

I'm not very familiar with MFW, but from a glance at the website I would say the two programs are a bit different. So you will need to decide what it is you actually want to accomplish with your son. Both Starting Points and World Views begin with an indepth study of the Biblical world view. That is done before beginning any of the literature study. This allows the student to see the literature through the Biblical world view lens. The Biblical World view study answers the questions: Is there a God, if so what is he like?, What is the essential nature of man, what is the nature of the universe, what is the basis for morality and ethics, what is the cause of evil and suffering, what happens to man at death, what is the meaning of history.

I don't know how MFW incorporates Biblical world view. If you are doing WVWW and have not read the material yourself, you may have difficulty. I read everything the first time through the series, but now I just skim through the books to re-familiarize myself when teaching the program.

I would suggest using Starting Points with both students (you'll be more sane) and work through that next year. It looks like you can do any of the 3 options in MFW at any time. So you could do just 2 of those with your oldest and complete all 3 with your younger student. Of course, you might decide to continue with WVWW in which case I think you can easily condense the program to 2 years by omitting some of the books.

We omitted the American History portion of Year 2 in order to scale back and complete the majority in 2 years,. I just tweak it to fit my needs at the time. Our kids in co-op were getting American History as another single course so it would have been redundant.

If you want to make things easier for you, the MFW is probably your best bet. But you will probably be missing a lot of Biblical World View study. Starting Points is very easy to read in order to keep up with your kids and you would be giving them a good "starting point" for further literature study.