Menu

Help- with math

I am trying to figure out what I should use for my sons- I have been using Saxon Algebra - my oldest has had a really hard time while his younger brother (who is 2yrs younger) is whizzing through is brothers book- Should I seperate the two and put one in Geometry and the other in Advanced Algebra? And has anyone worked with the DVD's are they a help and which ones did you use- We have the Teacher's cd-roms and while it helps my oldest he gets bored with them- is there something else out there that would help but is short and sweet? Thanks L

Your older may need a different program that will fit his learning style better. You may want to research that possibility. Also, that would keep the competition at bay, as well, since they'd be doing different things in different programs, so your older son wouldn't feel upset that his younger brother was at the same level, or even past his level. Maybe older one needs more explanation, and a program that's not so spiral and incremental?

Just some ideas.

Hi- Thanks- We used math u see classics when he was younger- But they did not have enough practice for him. He understands the concepts but since he has adhd- He forgets steps easily- I just don't know of any programs out there other than Saxon that will give him the extra practice yet hold his attention. IF you have any ideas or know of other programs let me know- Thanks :)

Hi- Thanks- We used math u see classics when he was younger- But they did not have enough practice for him. He understands the concepts but since he has adhd- He forgets steps easily- I just don't know of any programs out there other than Saxon that will give him the extra practice yet hold his attention. IF you have any ideas or know of other programs let me know- Thanks :)
You MAY want to look at TT. It is kind of like Saxon, but is not incremental or spiral, it's more continual review. Saxon introduces things in kind of random order, and TT introduces concepts in order. Maybe that little "tweak" of how they do it, yet kind of the same, would be something that would work better for him? I don't know, just wondering.

TT has placement tests, and, since they have "creative labeling" with their levels, it's good to have the child take the test to see approx. where he should place.

One nice thing about TT is that it has solution cds that walk the child through each step of every single problem in the book! Maybe those will never be needed, but if it IS needed, they can go over and over and over it it until they get it!

It's not a rigorous program, but people here have reported that their children went through it and did fine with SAT and ACT testing, and did well in college maths.

Have you looked at Life of Fred? It's more story form, and worked well for my ds16 when he used it for Beginning and Advanced Algebra. They have a Home Companion Book that has lesson plans, basically, and explanations on going through the Algebra books (each level has their own Home Companion book). It's not required but it sets up a good schedule to follow to get through the book in a timely manner.