Menu

A huge, huge public thank you to whomever recommended magnesium for enuresis!

I searched through a few pages to try to find who it was, but I wasn't successful. My 10 yo ds has had maybe 5 dry nights total in his life. He has now been dry 3 nights in a row, which has never happened. He's been taking a Cal/Mag/Zinc supplement for 5 days now. I am just tickled to death!

DH was complaining about the supplement costing as much per month as pull-ups (I got a high quality liquid) but I figure the bedwetting was a symptom of magnesium deficiency, which needs to be treated. The halt of bedwetting is just an added benefit.

Now though, ds wants to try going without the magnesium. How long do I need to have him take it?

Edited by TengoFive
  • Like 1

I've been trying it with my son. He's had 3 dry diapers in the last week, which is a first, and very encouraging. I'm not giving much Magnesium, though --- 170 mg. capsules twice daily. It's a high quality brand. I take it also to prevent osteoporosis, but if I take any more than that, it causes diarrhea, so I was worried about giving my son any more. I may try giving it 3x daily.

I'd like to hear the dose of the op also.

I'm giving him Cal/Mag/Zinc He takes a full dose, which is 600 MG. He weighs 80 pounds and reports no diarrhea. From what I can remember from researching mag for something else, you won't get diarrhea from taking it, unless you're taking it and you don't need it, or are taking more than you need. Basically if you get diarrhea, you back off the dosage until the diarrhea ceases.

The taste is not great, verified by dh, but he's complaining less every night. I think our next bottle I'm going to try ChildLife

One thing I've read to make sure of is that you have Zinc, Vitamin D, and Calcium with your magnesium. They really affect the rate at which the magnesium is absorbed and being deficient in one of those can cause magnesium to leach from the body. Both of the ones I've linked have all of those, but the Trace Minerals has other things as well.

Thanks for posting your brand!

:glare: I totally overlooked the dose my ds has been taking of this http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Kid-Cal-Tablets/dp/B000MPOSUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1272655508&sr=8-1

I just looked at the container and he needs two chewable tablets to get 100 mg of mag, and I've only been giving him one (doh!). Which means he's only been getting 50 mg mag/100 mg calcium/100 D3. I give him extra D3 (500 iu) separately. He's around 45 lbs. I need to try something else for the cal/mag, maybe we'll try the Trace. His hematologist recommended cal/mag for his leg pains (he has a congenital thrombocytopenia, not that I'm worried about the leg pains or anything :glare: )

:auto: off to the vitamin store (ok well maybe tomorrow ;))

How long should he take it? I'd stick with it for *at least* a month. Then, try every other night for a while, then every third, etc. You may find that he needs it once or twice a week for a long time -- or you may find that he no longer needs it.

When I was a kid, my mom gave me a 70s supplement that contained mag (and some things they no longer sell). ;-) I stopped wetting the first night. I kept taking the supplement for about 6 months, then stopped altogether. I never wet again. :)

If he's wetting b/c of a magnesium deficiency, he'll need to take it long enough to build up his mag levels. IMHO, that won't happen in a week. So, give it a while, and then test to see if he still needs it.

HIH,

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...
I'm giving him Cal/Mag/Zinc He takes a full dose, which is 600 MG. He weighs 80 pounds and reports no diarrhea. From what I can remember from researching mag for something else, you won't get diarrhea from taking it, unless you're taking it and you don't need it, or are taking more than you need. Basically if you get diarrhea, you back off the dosage until the diarrhea ceases.

The taste is not great, verified by dh, but he's complaining less every night. I think our next bottle I'm going to try ChildLife

One thing I've read to make sure of is that you have Zinc, Vitamin D, and Calcium with your magnesium. They really affect the rate at which the magnesium is absorbed and being deficient in one of those can cause magnesium to leach from the body. Both of the ones I've linked have all of those, but the Trace Minerals has other things as well.

We are on day 2 of this. I thought I'd give ds the full dose for a few days, then back down to a half a dose (he's only around 45 lbs but occasionally complains of bone pain).

Has anyone seen it in any other flavors besides pina colada?

What time of day do you usually give it? Does it matter if it's in the evening and the D3 is in the morning? Should I do it all in the morning? Thanks!!

• 5 weeks later...

I just had to add my thanks; I ordered the Now Foods Kid Cal and my 10 yo son started taking it 1.5 months ago. He had one night of wet about 2 weeks ago but other than that, nothing. Compared to 1-2 (and sometimes more) times per week previously. Wow. We are totally thrilled.

By the way, I did not tell him the purpose of the Kid Cal experiment, I just had him start taking them.

THANK YOU!!!

• 10 years later...