Menu

Reading aloud problems

I enjoy reading books to my children, but I have a problem that has been a reoccurring problem for years. I keep falling asleep when I read to them. This usually happens when I'm reading chapter books while sitting down on the couch. My son is used to nudging me awake as I read. Tell me I'm not the only one.

:lol:....:001_huh:....kind of weird, isn't it? What's best is if they are falling asleep too...but no. MO-O-O-M! Sometimes when we pause and it turns into sleeping, and bless their little hearts, they think we're enjoying the art!!!

:lol:Oh my. That is funny. Yep, me too. Not even chapter books, little golden books. Bad me.

I have had that problem in the past, but not for a while now. I think it's a combination of just good-old-tired and not breathing properly while reading. As I recollect, it happened more when were using Sonlight. That was many years ago when I had more children (and younger as well) at home. I think I was just pooped.

Geo

• 4 weeks later...
How long do you read? What time of day?

I used to read just one chapter a day from a book, right after lunch.

I usually read in the afternoon, but it can vary. The amount can vary too depending on how alert I am. Sometimes I have to skip the read aloud for the day because I know it will be a huge struggle. Sometimes I can read 2-3 chapters and other times it is hard to make it through one page. It does get funny sometimes though because if you fall asleep in the middle of a sentence you can put words into the sentence that aren't there. We have had many laughs :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

There is no way I could read in the morning and be alert.

This might be something you have to 'suck up'. Find the best time of day for yourself and just do it. You could use audio books...would they make you fall asleep? You would still need to know the story so the children could ask questions and discuss. Part of reading aloud is discussion. Do you drink coffee? Maybe a large strong cup an hour before? I think reading aloud is important, so I would personally try to find strategies to stay awake.

When we're reading for school stuff I'm wide awake. It's when we sit down to read for no reason other than to read a book we love that I get sleepy. I'm not falling asleep anymore while reading to them anyway because a helpful sibling reads to the younger ones (2).

Even when our kids can read well we still like to read aloud.