Menu

Rod & staff emglish grade 6.... help!

sweetsouthern

so we have been doing winston grammar and just started meaningful composition for writing. i purchased editor in a chief and take 5 minutes a day and daily language review from evan moore. i was all set to continue/start this course...

and then i found a r&s english grade 6 book at a curriculum gargage sale for $1. so i snagged it. i looked it over and i think we can jump right in on it. but my question is..do i need all the other stuff above still??? lol! the writing in there, is it enough? i would probably still do one editing book, but not both? im just trying to decide if it will work alone.

what do u guys do? also, ive heard of doing only the evens or only the odds... do u do this on everything in the book, unless of course they struggle with something? and is rod and staff the type of language arts program we can continue with for higher grades as well? thanks!:lurk5:

so we have been doing winston grammar and just started meaningful composition for writing. i purchased editor in a chief and take 5 minutes a day and daily language review from evan moore. i was all set to continue/start this course...

and then i found a r&s english grade 6 book at a curriculum gargage sale for $1. so i snagged it. i looked it over and i think we can jump right in on it. but my question is..do i need all the other stuff above still??? lol! the writing in there, is it enough? i would probably still do one editing book, but not both? im just trying to decide if it will work alone.

what do u guys do? also, ive heard of doing only the evens or only the odds... do u do this on everything in the book, unless of course they struggle with something? and is rod and staff the type of language arts program we can continue with for higher grades as well? thanks!:lurk5:

I really think that doing Winston Grammar along with R&S would be too much grammar :tongue_smilie: . If you are doing R&S, I would drop Winston. My dd is doing R&S 6 and I sometimes will tell her to just do the odd number problems, depending on how many probs there are in that particular exercise. We do the class practice section orally together first, so I can usually see if she has a grasp on the concept before she goes off to do the written practice.

Does that help?

My dd11 is just finishing up R&S 6. I think it is thorough enough to not need any other grammar course. I have given her a "break" from exhaustive writing assignments as the last two years we did R&S as well as an IEW-like class. Adding more writing to R&S really depends on what your dc is able to handle. If you did all of the writing assignments it may be enough for some kids and not enough for others.

We use R&S 6. Instead of adding a writing program I have DD write summaries and outlines from our history and science books as described in the WTM. We also do the writing exercises in R&S.

After doing this for awhile, and then listening to SWB's lecture on middle school writing I am now comfortable we are heading in the right direction writing wise.

As for R&S we do much of it orally, and never do all the exercises for a lesson. If the concept is taking hold we do about 1/4 - 1/2 of the written exercises. Her grammar retention has improved dramatically since we moved to R&S. I think if you use the R&S you can drop the other books.

We use Editor in Chief in the summer when we do light school. The kids like it and it doesn't take long.

BTW, $1!!, that was a great bargain - way to go!

We use R&S 6. Instead of adding a writing program I have DD write summaries and outlines from our history and science books as described in the WTM. We also do the writing exercises in R&S.

After doing this for awhile, and then listening to SWB's lecture on middle school writing I am now comfortable we are heading in the right direction writing wise.

This is exactly what we do also and it has greatly improved my dd's writing ability this year.

one last question... for the writing, could i keep doing meaningful composition? or would that be too much?

I've never used MC, but have only seen samples. I would think that you might compare the writing assignments in R&S with MC. Pick and choose those that may cover different aspects of writing or may enhance weaknesses that you've noticed in your dc's writing.

HTH,

Jennifer