Menu

Need help regarding language arts

This year I will have two children in 9th grade. Both are boys who have always struggled and still are struggling with language arts. It is difficult for them to determine parts of speech and so forth. Can anyone offer suggestions for a language arts program that would work in this situation. I am a math, science and history person myself. So this is uncharted territory for me.

Rod and Staff English! Call them or talk with people who have used it. The company is great for advice on placement. I hear of many people, when catching up on grammar in high school, who go back to the 6th or even 5th grade book...at the very least, use the 8th grade book. I used it over 2 years so that my students could also do a writing program (we used IEW) as well.

HTH,

Kimm in WA

Rod and Staff English! Call them or talk with people who have used it. The company is great for advice on placement. I hear of many people, when catching up on grammar in high school, who go back to the 6th or even 5th grade book...at the very least, use the 8th grade book.

I used to teach 9th grade English in the school system, and I can tell you that the material in the 6th grade Rod & Staff is comparable to what a 9th grader would need. I started my dd in it her first year of hs, when she was 11, and I loved it. It goes through the parts of speech slow enough that they have a chance to really grasp them. My nephew started R&S in the seventh grade, and started with their 7th grade level--he had a much more difficult time with the material. I gave him our 6th grade level, and he was much happier with it. I cannot recommend R&S over another program because it is all we have used at this level, but I can tell you that if you use it, you can start with 6th grade and you will not be behind in grammar. You can use the entire year to teach it, pair it with literature and writing, and you should be fine for a year of 9th grade English credit.