Menu

Gelfand Solutions available anywhere?

Solutions to Gelfand's math problems used to be available from Charon or Myrtle's math blogs, I understand, but they are gone now.

Does anyone know of another source or version of these solutions? It will make all the difference for me because I don't think I could use Gelfand without them.

Thanks,

Gary

• 2 years later...
Guest amjo324

I'm really enjoying Gelfand's algebra but find the lack of solutions inhibiting. It would be hugely appreciated if someone with a saved copy of the solutions could share them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest jameswhawley

Man! I'm thrilled to have found this thread. I've been struggling with the factorization of x^10+x^5+1 for most of a day. It appears to be a quadratic, but without the solution, I can't tell if I'm missing something a bit more elegant.

• 2 weeks later...

What's with the LARGE number of new members desperately wanting solutions to Gelfand's works? Does that strike anyone else as...surprising?

Not particularly; a new wave of folks finding a great math book, and the solutions are no longer online. I have been negligent with math threads since I'm no longer teaching my dc high school math. They have an excellent honours math program at the public high school that my youngest is going to go there part time for band & math next year; he'll be taking math all year there. Granted, it's not as wonderful as Gelfand's, but it's working best for me to only teach him some subjects, and to farm out music lessons, writing & now math.

At any rate, I have the solutions, but don't come here nearly as often as I used to, so if you PM me for them, please be patient. Also, I'll get the message faster of you PM me rather than send an email. I come here about once or twice a week, but in summer sometimes a bit less. Also, the new way threads show up means this wasn't under my content but under threads I follow, and sometimes I forget to check both places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It will be highly appreciated if some one could post the solutions Gelfand's excellent Algbra book.

They can't be posted here, but exist as PDF files. If you would like one, PM me or someone else who as them, send them your email address & ask them to send them. They have to be sent as an attachment, which can't be done on the forums.

• 3 months later...
Guest mrchiotte

Hello, i'm just posting this to unlock PM.

I'm also looking for the algebra book solutions pdf file.

It seems really hard to find.

Hope any of you can help. thx.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I wish i'd known how to find that as I've sent it out countless times. I have to save this link (I bookmarked it.)

I know; you sent the PDF to me, too. :) We should collectively thank you!

Here are more pages from Charon's archived site, if it is of interest to anyone:

Educational philosophy, with a bit about Gelfand's Algebra.

Brief reviews of various maths texts.

Algebra lesson plan combining the Gelfand text with the Allen and Pearson text.

Guest mrchiotte

many thanks for that valuable link.  :hurray:

I was stuck on problem 42.

now i understand why :) it's kind of a relief.

It's sad to see that link is part of the internet archive...and we're just lucky to still have access to it today.

have a good day. cheers.

• 1 month later...
Guest mrchiotte

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgvd00bvjxoomd9/Algebra_Gelfand_solutions_edited.pdf

little update about the pdf file.

I added an index on the first page so it's easier to jump to any problem you're looking for.

I also reformatted most of the formula & equations to a less painful format to read and corrected some typo and/or few calculation mistakes.

But I didn't triple checked, I just hope I didn't introduce more typo than the original file.

I mostly did a straight copy & paste from the original pdf's equations to avoid that.

fell free to grab it if you're interested.

I still provide the original file so if you find something suspicious you could always compare and post any mistakes you might bump into.

• 8 months later...