Menu

I need to change something before I quit...

KIN

You can see below what we are trying to do. I'm having a terrible year. We never get to History,Science, Art, Music. We are trying to do the basics and that is it. I'm miserable. My kids aren't behaving well or enjoying school. It is just endured. My house is falling apart and I can't seem to accomplish much of anything. We don't get through the basics every day.

Yes, I suffer with depression. I'm exercising, taking vitamins, trying to make healthy eating choices, and talking with a Life Coach that is a strong Christian from my church. I've been on anti-depressants and I'm done with them.

I feel that my school day needs to be more fun, more relaxed, but I seriously haven't a clue how to get it like that! Do I need different curricula? Spread school out over the entire day? I just don't know what to do.

I would welcome any suggestions or advice.

Update: Thank you so much for this wonderful response. I have a lot of ideas in my head. Tonight dh took the kiddos to church for supper and classes and I got to stay home to pray, think and relax. I will be changing some of my curricula for next year. And, I will be dropping some things this year. I'm still not sure where to start tomorrow, but I hope to figure it out soon.

Edited by KIN

I am so sorry.:grouphug: I have no advice to give you, other than what your life coach has probably already given you. You have young children and that always makes life difficult. I've got a 7,6 & 4 year old and they need tons of hand=holding, so my house looks like a disaster as well. Maybe there are other folks here who can give you more practical encouragement. Hang in there!

(((((Kathy))))) I have established a long spring break so that we can fix the same things. Raw cacao powder works very well for me as an anti-depressant. I have more energy and motivation and the day seems longer (more productive time). First I am adding fun things to our schedule. The park every Monday and the Museum every Thursday. Then I am adding in the fun subjects. Art and music first, then science and pre-school. We are at that point now. We will keep up the fun active schedule and add the basic subjects back in. It seems to be helping all of us a lot, especially my guilt. ;) I expect each step to take 3-4 weeks, so a good schedule covering all that I want will take the whole summer break period, but it will be worth it and we can get caught up easily.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I started typing this when the server went down.. here's highlights...

Spring Break -- even if it is a field day at the park.

Then, after spring break -- drop language arts and math and even Latin for several days and do the stuff that you want to.

Maybe you could start other school days with just history/science/etc... have some fun. then limit the time on language arts and math for a few days/weeks to keep it up.

audio books to let them hear good literature.

ask someone to come clean your house with you.

and :grouphug:

-crystal

I went to retrieve the PM about raw cacao and I saw that it was to you! LOL! Seriously, my ND told me that I didn't need it anymore and a friend told me that it wouldn't be her choice, so I tried to wean myself off of it. Hours would go buy without accomplishing a thing, I was so depressed and useless. I need to stay on it.

I am using raw cocao, "As well as antioxidants the beans are rich in feel

good factor chemicals dopamine and tryptophan.", for my lack of energy and motivation and depression. Navitas Naturals, Cacao Power, Certified Organic, 16 oz (454 g) from iherb.com 1-1.5 t. per day. I just put it in my mouth and swallow, but you can also mix it in with a smoothy. more information. The recommended dose on the cocoa is 1-3 T. per day, but I found that was too much. I don't sleep on that much, and when my doc tested me I tested at 1.5 t. per day.

You should also take Vitamin D. Adults can take 9,000 IU per day without negative affects. I am on a prescribed 10,000.

You can also try fish oil or another source of EFA's: 1 T. of Udo's oil had way more fatty acids than the fish oil I was taking, and I don't remember where I found it, but they recommend more than what I was taking for depression. It turns out that I consistently do not need this or fish oil upon testing, but most people do. The recommendations are more along the lines of what Udo's gives you. Another note is that flax seed oil is a precurser that your body can use to make the full range of omega 3's... so you get all of them. With most fish oils you are usually only getting 1-3 (I think there are 7).

My DH says that the Vit. D and fish oil have really helped him. I can tell too. ;)

I hope you get better soon!

Ask your DC what *they* would like to learn about. Then go to the library and check out lots of books and videos about the topics they've picked. Maybe add in some great read-aloud books just for fun.

Nothing bad will happen if you take a break from formal academics for the rest of the school year.

Use the summer to manage your depression and get your house back in shape. By fall, I bet you and your kids will feel so much more refreshed.

:grouphug:

BTDT. It was the worst time in my life. I was depressed and having panic attacks. We had to put our kids back in CS for a year. Brought them back and started BJU distance learning for the older two's basics. It has been a life saver. I had to let go of all my WTM fantasies that were unrealistic for our family.

Next year the two olders will use BJU hardrive again, for math, lang. arts, and science. We will all do bible and history together using VP cards, SL literature and Hands and Hearts history kits. We will just read together and do fun projects. And I will have time to do kindergarten with my 5 yr. old.

I think trying to keep up with what your doing would require some serious spiritual leadership, and time to keep a very close walk with God.

I'm so sorry your going through this, there is light at the end of the tunnel your in. Try to rest in Him, and pray that He'd reveal His will for your homeschool.

:grouphug:I have not read any other posts. I know how you feel. I felt like that last year. This year I completely overhauled our curriculum and it is going so much smoother! I suggest you start off by taking a break. Your kids are young, it will not be detrimental if you take a break! Re-evaluate what you are doing, and what isnt working with it! Then post what you have found on here and maybe people can give you ideas about curricula changes! Don't give up because ANY home education you give your kids is so much better than what they would get at a public school!

:grouphug: I really recommend you take a break! Get a schedule written down if you do not have one already and see if that shows you anything! Maybe cut down lessons for a while, is it to much for your kids?

Are they more hands on?

Visual?

Kinesthetic?

Auditory?

That can make a huge difference also!

Ask your DC what *they* would like to learn about. Then go to the library and check out lots of books and videos about the topics they've picked. Maybe add in some great read-aloud books just for fun.

Nothing bad will happen if you take a break from formal academics for the rest of the school year.

Use the summer to manage your depression and get your house back in shape. By fall, I bet you and your kids will feel so much more refreshed.

:iagree: in addition to reading and learning about what they are interested in, get math games, make it fun! There are many resources online for free!

I've been there, too. Pray...a lot.

Relax regarding school. If your kids are getting the basics, they are getting much. Math, reading and writing if you (they) can manage it are plenty to keep them on track and learning. You don't need a history or science curriculum if the books they are reading are quality books.

Try this:

Pray/devotional first thing to get everyone in the right frame of heart.

Math - at least one lesson; let your older kids read through, work the problems and check against the answer key on their own. Have them report to you how they did, which if any were wrong and what they did to correct them. If they really don't understand a concept, then give them more help.

Reading - a good, narrative history or quality historical fiction book; a 'classic' fiction book, a science related book - maybe a section from an encyclopedia such as DK or Usborne.

Writing - at the end of the day, have them print, write, type or narrate 1/2 to 1 page summary of something they learned from the day's reading.

We followed this approach for about a year, and both boys are doing great. I'm doing much better, too, and am even managing to keep my house 'presentable.'

May God bless you!

Lovedtodeath - LOL that you talked to me about this before!! :) The sad part is that I'm still in the same place. I do take fish oil and Vit. D, and that may help some. Thanks for the information and reminder about the raw cacao powder.

Well, personally, I would drop CW. It is too time consuming for what it is, especially when you could put both of your older children in Writing Tales 1 which is very much the same as CW, but a lot more fun.

As for Latin, we never get to it. I try every year and we just don't. I've decided it's not a priority in my school and it never will be. Period.

I would start the day with bible, science and history! Get all the kids gathered together and read from the bible; discuss. Then read some science; discuss. Then read some history; discuss. I can be that simple. Your kids are still fairly young. It doesn't have to be complicated right now.

Then take a break and let the youngers get out their wiggles, play an educational game together, a puzzle, etc. while you are working on writing with your older two (again, I personally would use WT1; it even includes games). Then have your olders do some reading or finish their writing assignment, should there be one, while you work on math and reading with your 5 yo.

Make Friday an art and music day. I would get a fun art program such as Atelier where your children actually get to all work on an art project together with an instructor telling them exactly what to do. I don't know what aspects of Harmony you are using, but I personally did NOT like, nor did my ds enjoy, the art program that Harmony schedules (I can't think of the name of it right now. :tongue_smilie:). With Atelier you could pick a level in the middle and all the kids could have a great time together completing an art project each Friday, reading art books, listening to great composers while doing their art project, etc. It's a great day to have some fun, and give yourself a break as well.

One thing I've noted, and perhaps I am wrong, but you don't seem to have any independent subjects at all. Meaning subjects your older two can work on independently. I personally enjoy having a few subjects my ds can do without me...and I am only schooling ONE. Perhaps you could look into CLE's LA which is quite independent, and also includes spelling. And, yes, I would even consider CLE's math over RightStart if RS is taking too much daily time.

Anyhow, last but not least, do what you need to do for your sanity. Sometimes we can get soooo wrapped up in the mindset of some WTM schoolers that we take on too difficult or time-consuming curricula than needs be. I had never even heard of WTM (let alone progym) when I schooled my older two. We did basic things like Abeka and BJU which was mostly independent. I think the only thing I did with them was Sonlight history and that was in jr. high/high school. They are now in college doing very well. Oldest son, who has learning disabilities, is currently in a nursing program with a 3.89 GPA (with a 4.0 last semester!). Make sure they get their 3R's and consider the rest gravy. It will all shake out in the end. Truly.

All my opinion of course. ;)

[eta Another option I would look into for writing would be Meaningful Composition. My understanding is that it is fairly independent and walks your child through what to do each day. Anyhow, something to consider.]

Edited by Melissa in CA

I don't struggle with depression, but have had periods of it when my kids were real young. You have young children, and you might just be trying to do too much with them. To me, the basics are math and reading. Focus on that and add in what you can--spelling, and grammar would be my first choice. Read aloud to your kids for something fun.

Drop a formal writing program--you don't need that right now. Drop Latin, and turn Bible over to your husband--and don't feel guilty about not doing those things. If your dh can't do Bible with the kids, don't sweat it. Spend a little time memorizing Bible verses and call it done. Put out crayons and markers and call it art. These are things I would do during a time of struggling. I hope you get it all worked out. :grouphug:

I think you need to adjust expectations for your family. You have a bunch of little ones and they are all in a row.

Focus on your oldest only. This would be the most important thing for me, personally. Just focus on getting that child independent in his subjects. I still have to work with my oldest a few times a week. But, finally getting him independent (even if only for the most part) has given me some sanity.

Drop Biblioplan. Read a section in SOTW (or your spine). Give each child a notebook or blank journal. After you read, start with the oldest child. Have them narrate to you. Write it down and move on to the next child. Put the notebooks on the table and put out art supplies. Let them color a picture if they want. Don't read anything else about that subject. Don't feel guilty about it either.

Take a week long break every 3 weeks. Focus on one subject per day. Rotate through them.

Math, History, Science, Grammar, Writing, Art. Don't assign them to a day like Monday. Just start today and move to the next one each day. You will cover each subject enough in the month.

Do the same thing with all children at a different level. On Writing day just put some copywork on a chalkboard.

Ask the kids what they want to study. Pick out lots of book. Give them art supplies and lots of paper. Have fun.

Give them something to do when they fight. Give them a book to read. Put them in the bathtub. Hand them a broom. Give them a sink full of dishes to wash. Put them all on a blanket in the yard with a plate of cookies and read them lots of books. Take a nap together. Go to the beach.

You can see below what we are trying to do. I'm having a terrible year. We never get to History,Science, Art, Music. We are trying to do the basics and that is it. I'm miserable. My kids aren't behaving well or enjoying school. It is just endured. My house is falling apart and I can't seem to accomplish much of anything. We don't get through the basics every day.

Yes, I suffer with depression. I'm exercising, taking vitamins, trying to make healthy eating choices, and talking with a Life Coach that is a strong Christian from my church. I've been on anti-depressants and I'm done with them.

I feel that my school day needs to be more fun, more relaxed, but I seriously haven't a clue how to get it like that! Do I need different curricula? Spread school out over the entire day? I just don't know what to do.

I would welcome any suggestions or advice.

Make some changes in your curric. 3 levels in Rightstart sounds like a TON of work.

Since you're using SWR, you may enjoy the pick up and go of The Phonics Road. Very much the same style, but laid out for you and your student. Many people here who started with SWR are now enjoying an all-in-one language arts w/ PR and from what I understand, they are spending less time. In addition, this switch will allow you to drop Prima Latina, as the PR program leads nicely into the Latin Road by introducing roots in Level 3 and continuing w/ Level 4. I believe this would truly save you some time in your day.

Drop art and make it a summer subject. Enjoy it only over each summer and remove it from your annual schedule until you are able to comfortably function (which will get better as your children get a little older and are more self-sufficient).

Is your 9yo reading well? If so, have the 9yo read aloud history to the youngers while you make meals. The same can apply to science.

All that said, the first thing you should do is stop and take at least a 2-week break. The first week to get a handle on your house (you'll feel better), and the second to rest!

I can honestly say, as someone else with a large family, first :grouphug: I know where you are and 2nd, What you use really matters when size counts. Combine, combine, combine and watch out for the difference in teacher intensive and whole programs. What do I mean by that? Many people would call PR teacher intensive, but it isn't. It only appears that way to someone who hasn't truly used it.

You have chosen excellent curricula, but if it's not working and you're not getting to it....time to change or trim down. You don't have to do everything now....you will have time to branch out...focus on the basics. They'll matter most :)

Last year I was feeling a lot like you are and so I put my kids in a public charter school. It had its good points and bad, but I took them out after Christmas break. One of the reasons I put them in school was because I thought we weren't getting enough done at home...but guess what got done at school? Just the basics. There was no history, no art, no music, not even any reading to speak of. The "not enough" that I was doing at home was way more than they got at school...and it only took two hours at home. They were spending seven hours in school, and then coming home with at least an hours worth of homework!

I have graduated four of my kids from homeschooling to public high school. Two are graduated and in college. All four have been amazingly successful in high school and college in spite of the fact that I always felt like we weren't doing enough at home. So I have learned that the basics are enough. In fact, they are the most important thing. If you give your child a solid foundation in just the basics you are doing better than OK. Most public schools aren't even doing that.

I've also learned that it isn't as hard to do as we make it. My kids learned math by working on it for just 15-20 minutes a day. English and phonics takes about the same amount of time. School should never need to take more than 2 hours a day. Let them learn science and history by reading books from the library and watching educational videos. Let the fun stuff just be fun...don't make work for yourself.

I'm writing this as much to myself as to you because I have again fallen into the trap of trying to do too much and I'm starting to feel the burnout. I stress way too much over subjects like history. I love history but I have learned that formally teaching it isn't necessary to my long term goals...my kids went into high school with no formal history and did just fine, even in AP history courses. The important thing wasn't that they had learned history before high school...it was that their reading and writing skills were strong.

As for the house falling apart, I feel your pain. I think we as homeschoolers just expect too much from ourselves. There really are only so many hours in a day and just simply "parenting" takes time. Homeschooling takes time. Preparing for homeschooling takes time. Cooking and cleaning take time. Personally, I feel like I'm trying to do three full time jobs: homeschooling, taking care of the house, and taking care of the almost two year old. Add to that all the chauffeuring of teenagers and it really is more than one person can do, so something's gotta give. If I had the money, I would hire help but that's not something I can afford right now. So I just have to accept the fact that my house isn't going to be as clean as I'd like. And sometimes we need to take a break from school so that I can take care of the house. It's unrealistic to expect to be able to do both perfectly without help.

Susan in TX

I haven't read all the other posts but, :grouphug:. I struggle with depression as well and have kids of similar ages. My oldest is a year older and my 7 year olds are twins. :) The first thing I learned is that school for us isn't going to look the same as everyone else. We do teacher intensive programs for the most part so I school throughout the whole day. Heck, my kids have been known to be working on something over the weekend, since we sometimes take a weekday off when my DH's schedule is such that he is home, and we school year round although scaled back in the summer.

I have learned that science and history follow what my oldest is doing, which works really well. She is doing ancient history so they are doing ancient history, same with science. That way the youngers are a scaled back version of what she is doing so it gets done. The focus for my youngers are only the basics, math, reading, and writing, so they remain the focus, the rest is gravy.

We take every Thursday and and go to our local YMCA gym and swim program, time for me to have an few hours with other adults while they socialize. We take time off when needed throughout the year, and it gets done. (My house isn't the neatest on the block but it isn't my priority right now. ;) I have to remember that my children will only be little for so long.)

Take a break, evaluate what is working curriculum wise and what might not be, what you like and what you don't, and move forward from there. :)

Edited by melmichigan

I, too, struggle with depression even though I am on anti-depressants and take vitamins, Vit. D, fish oil supplements and TRY to get exercise. When I am depressed, schoolwork doesn't get done as well as on other days and sometimes all we get to is an educational DVD and read-aloud. I had to put my 3 oldest in ps this year to get a handle on my depression. I'm better than I was, but still struggle. First, you must cut yourself some slack. Beating yourself up makes it worse. Second, simplify as much as you can with school and housework. I've done some serious decluttering and toy purging so there is less for me to do each day. Make sure dh understands that this is an illness...not something you are making up (not saying that he doesn't...just wanted to point that out). Try to find an open and go curriculum for ALL subjects and combine as much as possible. We stumbled onto HOD and I truly believe it is going to be the answer to prayer for us. Open-and-go, I can combine "some" of my kids (we'll be doing 2 guides), rich in Bible (and not just in an academic sense, but in a more relationship way as well), included History, science, read-alouds, some dictation at older levels, poetry, art, music, etc. Just add math and LA and DITHOR for older levels. Other curriculums are like this, too (not sure about Biblioplan). Look at MFW as well. I will be praying for you b/c I know how hard it is. For me, depression seems to be that "thorn" that Paul was talking about and I often repeat the scripture about His grace being sufficient for me and His power being made perfect in my weakness. It's not easy, but we can do it with His strength. :grouphug:

First suggestion, make time every week for at least one fun activity. If something extra comes up spontaneously - great, but make sure at least one is planned. We used to make Fridays our field trip day. We'd still do math in the morning, but then we'd head out the door to a museum, an amusement park, the beach, a factory ... I always looked forward to Fridays!

You can use this as a carrot to dangle in front of the children as well. As in we need to get these subjects done by Thursday so we're free to ...

Schedule science, and the others you don't get to, for one day a week. Spend some time on them and try to involve the different ages. That way you don't have to do it all every day, just one of the "extras" a day along with the basics. Make sure science involves a lot of hands on to get their interest.

Go to playgrounds or the park often, or to other friends' houses to play. Get involved in a home school group so you have support and your kids will make friends there as well. Invite another family over - it's great incentive to clean up and kids are more eager to clean their rooms when they know their friends will be coming over.

Take some time to pray as a family. Even if it's just a few minutes together in the evening.

Keep us posted on what you do, and what the results are. :)

I would drop the Prima Latina, the Classical Writing for the 7 yo, and the 5 yo's RS math, as well as the Apologia. Instead of formal science, just take them to the 500s when you are at the library and let them grab a few books they like each week. I don't know enough about Harmony art to know whether to keep that or not. We did more free art time at those ages - painting some days, drawing or playing with clay on others. You should be able to pop a few artists' biographies in as you work through the Biblioplan. I wouldn't do a lot of projects and things with that, just read the books each week on topic.

I wouldn't go much more relaxed than that. You are going to be glad in a few years that you gave them a strong foundation in math and reading. Maybe just knowing that you are investing now and sacrificing so that things will be great later on will help? :001_smile:

I would drop writing, Latin, Apologia, and change from RS Math to something easier on you. I'd suggest Math Mammoth. Biblioplan may be too much too. As a pp recommended, find some library books and videos on history and science. Make it easy.

Do you have DH's support? Are you getting enough dates? I find lack of hubby time really contributes to depression.

Try taking one day a week to clean the house, do art, and go to the library.

Try taking a month off. :001_smile:

I have been on a very long break. I have been thinking I should get us back to doing school, but in reality there are other things which must be fixed first. Otherwise, it will have that same dragging ourselves through it feeling.

First of all, I've changed our curriculum/approach. I really think this will be better for us, but it is taking time to get it all organized. I think the extra time is important, though, rather than just jumping in half baked.

Second of all, I have been major decluttering. And also moving and changing our school space. We need a fresh viewpoint. Otherwise, I , at least, will feel like I'm still in the January doldrums.

So, I know that feeling of we can't just stop. But you can. It sounds like it's really not working right now. We've had some nice days with picnics lately, but more days with me inside doing the major overhaul on the house. I know that it's a priority. I have our school space partway done and it is SO much better.

So,:grouphug:, hope some of this helps.

... a "mother's helper?"

We had a delightful, young (11) homeschooled girl who spent six or so hours per week at our house when our youngest was 3-4. She was just awesome - she played imaginary games with him all morning, while I focused on the older two. The two of them became very good friends. (Now she is graduating from high school - SOB!)

I vote for the "take a month off" and "mother's helper" approach. I have a mh and she is WONDERFUL, if not for anything else, but someone who can play with my kids for a moment while I go to the bathroom, make copies, think, etc. My kids are young too, so I can totally understand where you are coming from.:grouphug:

I just wanted to pop in and give you a (((HUG))). I wrote a post almost identical to yours not that long ago. Depression, whether chronic or in spurts, is a hard thing to keep pushing forward through. I was given similar advice & I can say that the vitamin D3 and omegas really do work. Someone (Rosie in Aus?) told me "History will still be there when you get to it".

It does sound like you need a break from formal academic stuff. End your official school year now. For the rest of this year, like others have said, make learning casual and fun. Watch educational shows together, play games together, read books together, ask them what they want to learn about, do crafts, explore nature, just enjoy each other's company and have fun. Your kids will learn. They can't NOT learn, they learn all the time :)

Next year, you might want to re-evaluate what sort of curriculum you are using. Personally, I highly HIGHLY recommend Oak Meadow. It's not dry, textbookish and full of worksheets and busywork. It's more hands on and fun. But it is still a thorough curriculum! You might even want to check out the Oak Meadow "social group" on this forum, and check out their website and their philosophy etc.

I always feel so bad for people who are finding homeschooling stressful (on a regular basis anyway, we're all stressed now and then!)- homeschooling should be fun. Nobody should be miserable- not the kids, not you.

And take some time for yourself, too, to do things YOU enjoy.

Good luck, I hope things improve for you!

P.S. Oak Meadow is secular but you can easily add in your own religious elements.

Edited by NanceXToo
Wanted to add the P.S. :)

A wonderful book to read is The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook by Raymond and Dorothy Moore. It's been around a long time, and I think it's wonderful, *especially* if you are feeling burnout. I believe you can buy this from Amazon. It is very reassuring and has wonderful suggestions for how to reduce stress in your homeschool. The Moore's are not unschoolers in my opinion.

You are using time intensive math and writing programs. I don't think you need to be doing that to have later academic success with your children. Sometimes less is more. A low-stress curriculum might be something like Ambleside Online. Pick one year that would work for your older two and let your youngers tag along. The reading is rich but it is not overwhelming. You can drop a book here and there if you don't like it. AO is manageable IMO.

You are giving your children a wonderful gift by homeschooling them. They are spending the majority of their days with you, who knows them better than anyone and loves them dearly. A child's education is important but a highly academic approach is not necessarily the be all and end all and especially not at 9 and under. And whether you are doing "school" or taking a more relaxed approach, your kids are learning all the time anyway.

Like others have said, if you can, drop the Classical method or all formal learning for a bit, embrace delight-directed learning, get *lots* of fresh air and sunshine, and read to and hug your babies. :)

:grouphug: and prayers for you...

Edited by angela&4boys

i am coming to the conclusion that i simply cannot get everything done that i want to get done in a day. it's impossible. we do what we can do, and roll over into the next day what we didn't get done. i have abandoned the "school year" concept and just work steadily through the curriculum that i want to get done and when we're done, start the next book. if they "graduate" at 19, who cares, really? i don't think that will happen, anyway. they are both doing great.

it is SO HARD to LET GO, and just parent, and just educate, and just...be. i think one day a week to do something fun with school is important--a field trip, a project, a treat out...

the only thing i've found that truly helps is PRAYER, and lots of it. i try to take up control of it every day, but i have to put it in the hands of the one who called me to do this--he will equip me, if i allow him.

Oh Kathy, I haven't even read all the other responses, but I've just got to say you've got one big load!!! I only have one toddler and am trying to do work, and things seem to get crazy. I can't imagine having so many stairsteps. I think you get to an age or stage where you think you OUGHT to have it together, and the reality is you WON'T with that many kids that young.

Also, somebody probably said this, but have you had your thyroid checked? I mean really checked, with the right tests, etc. Docs sometimes half do it, not running all the right labs.

Also, somebody probably said this, but have you had your thyroid checked? I mean really checked, with the right tests, etc. Docs sometimes half do it, not running all the right labs.

Good idea. Drrind.com can get you started. I can even get you to a site that sells it without a script (legally).

Hi! You've gotten some great posts. I thought I'd chime in a bit. I have a 9yr old, a soon to be 7yr old, and a 3yr old. It's tough. Also, my 9yr old is finishing RS E and my 7yr old is finishing RS C. If you like RS and want to continue, I'd probably drop RS for the 5yr old. You can pick that up in the summer and only be doing RS w/ the 5yr old in the summer. Have the 9yr old and 7yr old play the games in the summer and with the 5yr old.

For art, I have several books. One is "The Art Book for Kids" I believe. You can only find it used but libraries should have it. Each 2page spread is one work of art. THe text is written to the child. The next day, we review the previous art work. After a week we thumb through the book and review those from the week. We also do Freerice.com and go through the art section and it's amazing how much the boys learn about art by doing this quick 5 minutes per day.

And about working all day.....yes, we work all day. I know many here say there kids are all done by noon and have the rest of the afternoon to play.....never happened in my house. It's an all day thing w/ breaks during the day for cleaning the bathroom after my 3yr old has made a poopy mess, or mopping the floor after someone spilled a glass of lemonade, or when I put myself in time out for 30min. And music? Put in a classical music CD for dinner.

I have a great book called 65 Science Mysteries you solve with Science! We read one per day often during dinner. It's a great way to keep them thinking about science.

but most of all, get some good history shows, science shows, movies, audio books and take a week off from active teaching and spend it getting the house together. You'll feel so much better if you're not surrounded by clutter.

Capt_Uhura (in the trenches with you!)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

What about doing "the basics" as you call them, 3 days a week, and prioritising history, science, art and music on the other 2 days?

For myself...if I didnt get to "the fun stuff" pretty much daily, I dont think I could homeschool. For me the fun stuff is sitting and reading to them and discussing stuff. Thats what floats my boat. Helping them do their maths or Latin is the dutiful stuff I need to get through so we can sit and spend an hour on the couches together.

You might find the book "Managers of Their Schools" interesting and helpful. The authors, Steve & Teri Maxwell, are Christian homeschooling parents of 8 and in addition, Teri battled depression when her children were young. She specifically wrote the book for mothers in situations like yours. The link to their site, with information about the book, is: www.titus2.com