Menu

So I finally figured out what my kids want for Science..

thowell

We've been successful with Thames and Kosmos, loose in the lab, wild goose company, and several experiment books by DK, including their microscope series, natural science, kitchen science....then have a solid encyclopedia and read about the topics on hand. Create your own notebook. I'm sorry to say, this is the richest way to get lots of experimentation...do it yourself :( I will follow programs, but to get in enough experimentation, I've learned a kit gets it done.

How about Supercharged Science?

http://www.sciencelearningspace.com/

Science Jim?

http://www.sciencejim.com/

Mr. Q's Classical Science?

http://eequalsmcq.com/

We LOVE The Happy Scientist, who has a website filled with great videos of experiments.

http://thehappyscientist.com/

There is also Physics Experiments for Children, which can be found for free online or cheap.

http://www.archive.org/details/physicsexperimen000492mbp

Have fun! ;)

Even though most people prefer kits because everything (or nearly everything) comes packaged conveniently in one box, I always encourage people to take a look at GEMS science: http://www.lawrencehallofscience/GEMS/

What sets GEMS apart is precisely that it is science out of the box. You have to gather materials -- some units take a lot more work than others to get ready -- but once that is done, GEMs booklets set you up with background, exploratory investigations, discussions about how scientists actually approach their work, a series of demonstrations, experiments, and other hands-on activities, recommendations for supplementary reading both fiction and non-fiction, assessment ideas, data collection and occasional graphing, and set up opportunities for learning how to isolate variables. But the greatest thing of all is that the activities are so engaging that once you have the materials collected and set out, kids are so excited and involved that you basically sit back while they take over.

GEMS is created by scientists; their space units are done in conjunction with NASA; and they are absolutely brilliant. Units cover earth and space science, chemistry, physics, biology, environmental science. They are set up to work across a range of ages and grade levels.

I've done about half of all the units with my daughter alone and with kids in a co-op setting. If you're interested and would like to try some of the easier ones to set up over the summer, try Dry Ice Investigations, Chemical Reactions, Bubble-ology, and Oobleck: What Scientists Do. I took pictures as we worked and pasted them in a lab notebook along with some of the data sheets for kids to fill in and sketches they ask kids to make; my daughter dictated and later wrote explanations and comments.

I can't say enough good stuff about this program. It was a sad day when i realized we'd gone through most of them through the junior high level...

Even though most people prefer kits because everything (or nearly everything) comes packaged conveniently in one box, I always encourage people to take a look at GEMS science: www.lawrencehallofscience/GEMS/

What sets GEMS apart is precisely that it is science out of the box. You have to gather materials -- some units take a lot more work than others to get ready -- but once that is done, GEMs booklets set you up with background, exploratory investigations, discussions about how scientists actually approach their work, a series of demonstrations, experiments, and other hands-on activities, recommendations for supplementary reading both fiction and non-fiction, assessment ideas, data collection and occasional graphing, and set up opportunities for learning how to isolate variables. But the greatest thing of all is that the activities are so engaging that once you have the materials collected and set out, kids are so excited and involved that you basically sit back while they take over.

GEMS is created by scientists; their space units are done in conjunction with NASA; and they are absolutely brilliant. Units cover earth and space science, chemistry, physics, biology, environmental science. They are set up to work across a range of ages and grade levels.

I've done about half of all the units with my daughter alone and with kids in a co-op setting. If you're interested and would like to try some of the easier ones to set up over the summer, try Dry Ice Investigations, Chemical Reactions, Bubble-ology, and Oobleck: What Scientists Do. I took pictures as we worked and pasted them in a lab notebook along with some of the data sheets for kids to fill in and sketches they ask kids to make; my daughter dictated and later wrote explanations and comments.

I can't say enough good stuff about this program. It was a sad day when i realized we'd gone through most of them through the junior high level...

can't get the link to work

We used both full year kits from Home Science Adventures. Each kit comes with a teacher's guide and just about everything you need. The guide even recommends a few books. The experiments are easy, interesting, and best of all, they work. The company has fantastic customer service. Our pocket microscope did not work and they replaced it promptly and free of charge. I used the kits with an 8 and 6 year old.

Sonlight's "Discover and Do" DVDs + the "non-consumable" kit and the kit for whichever grade level dvd you order (pay more attention to the topics your kids might be interested in than the grade levels) are fantastic and you do *not* need to be doing Sonlight Science. Just give your kids the dvd and the kits, and let 'em go. They'll have very nearly everything they need (except occasionally simple things like "bowl", "water", "paper towels") in the boxes, and each dvd includes demonstrations and explanations for dozens and dozens of experiments. I've found these to be more flexible and motivating than any other kits we've tried.

There is also Physics Experiments for Children, which can be found for free online or cheap.

http://www.archive.org/details/physicsexperimen000492mbp

Have fun! ;)

This is great!!!!! And it's FREE!!!!!!! Thank you sooooooooooo much! This is just what I am looking for. Now if it had a supply list that would be great but I haven't looked through the whole book yet.

I'm starting to believe kits are the answer....nothing seems to have enough experiments otherwise!

:iagree:

We've started doing the scienceWiz experiments kits. I have used lots of science kits in my time, but these are my favorite so far. They include the right things, have clear directions, the experiements work, aren't very expensive, are focused on a single topic, and explain why it works.

Oh, good find... thanks!

We've started doing the scienceWiz experiments kits. I have used lots of science kits in my time, but these are my favorite so far. They include the right things, have clear directions, the experiements work, aren't very expensive, are focused on a single topic, and explain why it works.

Karen, that's great to know! I just bought two Science Wiz chemistry kits for next year!

Apologia has alot of good experiments with regular household items if you are Christian. I dont know if that would fit for you or not though.

We are Christian and I have looked at these. Just wanted something with a little less paperwork to do and heavier on the experiments. But I will look again. Thanks

Another link to Science Jim samples. ($35 for the entire curriculum). http://www.currclick.com/product_info.php?products_id=30924&it=1

Also, you can supplement the experiments by watching free Bill Nye the Science Guy videos. They always excite the kids!

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/bill-nye-the-science-guy/mSfDi5fsfmBIEc-6Zu2dm6kZYh0#s2e18

this looks good too!!!! to many choices :willy_nilly:

this looks great but way out of my budget!!! I would have to save up for this.

I had to save for it too. It is more expensive than some....but again it's for 3 years. It's way cheaper than some though too, like Rainbow Science.

The 3-6 kit is huge....just packed with stuff.

Edited by ~AprilMay~