Menu

Cleo - Can you answer some questions about CNED?

Getting the answer guides for paper books is difficult, so I am thinking about trying the CNED. I am reluctant because I know that having a paper book and paper answer guide is nice. On the other hand, if there is some sort of lecture that goes with the material, that might be good, too.

What does a histoire/géographie lesson or a Français lesson look like? Is there a lecture, then directions to do something? Or is it material to read and questions to answer? Where are the answers? I am assuming that I would have to compare the my son's answers to the correct answers myself. Are the answers complete enough that I will be able to do that with my not-very-good French? One of the things I liked about Hachette is that the answers were written out in full to all the questions, giving my son a good example. I can answer the questions in English without any sort of answer guide, but I can't do it in correct French.

My other questions are about how the program works. Do they send me a lesson every day or do I get all the lessons at once? Or is it a matter of going to a site and looking there for the material, in which case, is it posted daily or can I look at the whole thing at once? Do they expire after a certain amount of time or can I use the material for more than a year? Am I in any way tied to their schedule?

Thank you, Cleo!

Nan

With CNED college (high school for you gals) you get half of your material in September, half in January. It may include some CDs, depending on the subjects.

The material is online, so just take a look directly. Since I know your son did Histoire-Geographie 6eme, here's the link for the 5eme.

http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/Ressources.aspx?PREFIXE=AL4GH51&CLASSE=Cinqui%C3%A8me

You have the text, you would need to add the official textbook (which is like Hachette, I don't know what they use there). The CNED text takes you through the textbook like a teacher would. It has questions to answer. The answers are in the 'corrigés' at the bottom of the link I posted.

If you were to register your son officially, every 2 or 3 weeks, he would send in some work for a France teacher to correct and mark.

CNED is meant to be done by the student without supervision from Mom and Dad. (It does come from the ministry of education, which considers all parents as unfit to teach. Sigh...)