Menu

Evaluating and selecting a curriculum that fits your needs

lea1

From my very limited experience to date, I am finding that it is pretty much hit or miss for selecting something that I end up liking, much less whether or not my sons will like it.

What are your tips or advice for selecting a curriculum that fits. For you experienced homeschoolers, what is your process? How do you do it? Does it get easier to know that you have found what you are looking for...or not?

Any tips of the trade that you can pass on to us newbies?

Long ago I read in a Cathy Duffy quote to chalk up your mistakes to the "school of home ed." In other words, you're going to have that learning curve. Pray hard, look at stuff first, trust your gut, and don't be impulsive at conventions. You'll sort through things over time and learn yourself, learn your kids. Obviously the more you read about learning styles (Cynthia Tobias, Cathy Duffy, etc.), the more you'll help yourself. But ultimately, your mix of teacher and learner is different from anyone else's. The same thing in the hands of two different people comes out different ways. You just have to find that for yourself.

Honestly ........? I look on these boards for curriculum suggestions; almost everything is better than what they'd get in public school. Then I try to find out who has children who seem to have the same likes/character as my dd and see what is working for them. I try to find curriculum that I like teaching and she likes doing.

Don't beat yourself up if you make some choices that don't work. We all do; just chalk it up to experience. And it doesn't get any easier because more curriculum becomes available every year! Sometimes I have to put the blinders on and stick with what we already have!

Some of curriculum selection is definitely hit or miss, but there are few things that are more objective (Keep in mind that it's late and I've had a long day;)).

1. Active or Passive - A learning style/age thing, IMO. Do my kids learn best while doing an activity or do they soak up tons while listening to me read? Also consider how much time/$ are you able to spend gathering up materials for a cool project. Does discussion help your kids? Do they engage more after having seen a documentary or film? I remember a book about learning styles by Cynthia Tobias that really helped me pinpoint my learning style as well as my childrens' - one of the most helpful things I've ever done in determining what curricula would fly or flop.

2. How Guided? Is the curriculum planned out day by day, or is it a list of suggestions? Do you want to be told what to do, or are you a tweaker who must personalize in some fashion? Can you tolerate scripted lessons? What about your kids do they roll their eyes if you read instructions from the book? How much planning time do you get? Are you GOOD at planning (Do you like to plan)?

3. Independent or Parent intensive - I always have the best results when I'm involved in the lessons, but one of my best friends has a son who protests if she gets too involved. How much time do you have? How many kids are you juggling? How much does discussion figure into your schooling? At what stage are your kids? (logic stage seems to DEMAND discussion).

4. What are your weaknesses and strengths/What are your child's? - One might opt for a science curriculum that comes with a kit and a DVD to minimize the possibility of error, or one might get a book out of the library and go to town. What do you feel most comfortable doing? Teaching? What comes easily to your children? What is tougher for them? In which areas do they need to improve?

5. Find a Mirror - The Hive is great for finding folks who have the experience you lack. There is likely someone out there who has a child whose likes and dislikes are similar to your child's. Folks here are so generous with their time and opinions. If you can identify a couple of key points about your child, you can ask good questions and get informative answers.

Good Luck!

:lurk5:

I don't have an answer because after 4 years I still am trying things and tweaking and not completely happy with everything, but then in a sense it's a very good problem to have because it means that there are SO many options out there now.

And the more I try the better my definitions become of who we are as homeschoolers and what fits. I think I'll have it all figured out by the time they graduate. :tongue_smilie:

One thing I have learned is that you have to read between the lines a little because most curriculum companies know how to make their product look and sound really fantastic. I really have to pull back on the reins and think through the facts before buying. I'll try to think of an example:

1. Me: I am creative. I enjoy being creative. I like to think up my own things and ideas for projects.

Curriculum: I looked at a teacher's manual that was all planned out and scripted word for word. My gut reaction was "yikes" but I kept hearing about how "solid" this curriculum was and "advanced" ...so instead of listening to my gut I listened to that and regretted it from day 1.

2. If getting your child to read is like getting blood out of a turnip AND you yourself don't like to read aloud, then don't choose Sonlight. Just don't do it. Looking at things pragmatically helps you to sift through the amazing advertising.

3. I really do start with the mainstream, well-established and well-known companies. They got that way for a reason. There may be others that are just as good but just not as well known, but I don't have time to find out. This automatically eliminates a few thousands options and saves me time.

4. I have read myself blind, bought and taken back things, talked to moms who have tried things and asked tons of questions. I think I could make curriculum review a full-time job.

5. A wise mom once said that you can use any curriculum to teach if you just use it. (paraphrased) I took that to heart. I don't skip around nearly as much now because I can make just about anything "work". This year, for example, I bought a phonics curriculum, again that looked wonderful. The program itself has turned out to be very weak and disappointing....required a lot of writing before my son was ready...activities were bland, etc. etc. but you know what? He is reading. True, I did some scrambling and had to supplement with an old stand-by but the child is reading. AND I won't buy from that company anymore. Check!

6. When you do find something that works, stick with it and avoid the trap of thinking there just may be something even "more" perfect out there.

7. I still sit down with pen and paper and jot down what has worked and what hasn't and why. This helps to make better decisions the next time, and it does.

8. The money and time you spend researching, talking, asking, buying and returning and (of course teaching)....is your degree in education. ;)

I hope something of my yammerings helped. I know what you mean, though.

Jamie

What has helped me is remembering that the curriculum is just one tool in your teacher toolbox. It isn't the "end all be all" of teaching or of learning, kwim? I've been through countless programs, books, curricula, etc. over the past 5 years. Read the WTM cover to cover...several times. Still keep it around for reference when I am tempted to buy the next great thing out there. And there will always be. And I come here for advice, realizing that in the end...the program that fits one family perfectly might not fit mine at all. AND all my kids are different in terms of learning styles so while one curriculum works well for one child it might bomb with the next. Makes it hard...but never dull! :) Then there is what fits ME best as the teacher. The best curriculum out there will NOT get done around here if it requires too much prep time from me or too much teacher time from me. I have found that I prefer open and go and programs like MFW or HOD which has the schedule all laid out for me. It takes time to find that perfect "fit". I have also come to realize that that program that fit perfectly one year, might not fit well the next due to life changes (new baby, moving, death in family, etc.). So, I always keep note of those that have worked or those that intrigue me. And, last but not least, I pray about it...a lot. I used to buy on impulse but now I take the time to pray and research before buying. Has saved me a lot of $. Oh, and once you do find a good fit...don't fix what aint broke! Trust me.

I have visual spatial learner and a hands on learner. This is what I look for in curriculum:

Can I add manipulatives or notebooking?

My hands on child often needs me to bring things off of the page and into her hands. With notebooking, my other child can make pictures or her own charts as a reference to what she has learned.

Is it too boring? Too wordy? Too preachy?

My children have an inability to listen to curriculum/books that preach, talk down or just put them to sleep. We've had to pass up on this point to many things that just don't present the material in an interesting way.

Does it have lots of pictures but not cluttered pages?

We use Singapore Math because it has nice pictures to show you how to do the work. We do not use a lot of Usborne materials because the pages are too cluttered. We like clear, understandable pictures.

Is it scripted or can I do my own thing?

Some people love scripted, I hate it. It gets in the way of my teaching style. I like curriculum that gives me the facts and lets me present it in my own way.

That seems to be the biggies for us.:001_smile:

:

1. Find a Math program you like and stick with it. Math seems to be the bane of homeschoolers' existence and is the worst subject for curriculum hopping. Not every kid is going to LIKE Math, so don't make yourself crazy trying to find one they enjoy. Choose one with a solid reputation -- Saxon, MUS, BJU, CLE -- and stay the course.!

Thank you for the sage advice! I'm normally not an indecisive person, but I've been seriously waffling between sticking to my simple, basic math program and venturing into new territory - or do I just supplement? Math has always been the bane of my existence, and now as a homeschooler, the glaring gaps of my knowledge and comfort with math are rearing their deficient heads.

I still have much to ponder, but I have renewed dedication and a dose of wisdom to guide me in my decision-making.

We're just starting out but my policy so far has been to look for free or low-cost options and try them first. If they don't work (and can't be made to work), then look for other options. If they do work, I can use the money to buy books. We don't have a ton of money for curriculum, and since we're not "official" school age yet I'd have trouble convincing DH of the need for a $600 package. I am comfortable with designing my own lesson plans for now for History, Science, Art, Music.

I started with Progressive Phonics (free online) for phonics along with free worksheets. It was okay but my son seemed to need more so I bought ETC (low cost). Along with a lot of phonics/reading games (found online), the two in combination are working very well for us now.

I started with a Houghton Mifflin online program (free) that was exercises to use in classrooms. It worked well for a little while but I didn't think it would be as easy to use as the work became harder. I wanted to keep consistant with math as much as possible so I looked at MEP (free). It's working very well for us so we're going to stick with it.

I have downloaded the "Try-Before-You-Buy" History Odyssey lessons and REAL Science Odyssey lessons. We have given them a casual try and I'm pretty sure those are what we are going to use when we start the WTM four year cycle (with a few other books/resources) in 2011. I also have a few Evan Moor science resources and the Usbourne ILE of World History.

My options are more limited because I want a secular program, my son is very visual and won't listen to long read-alouds, and I have a younger child "helping". I am working on building up my son's tolerance for read-alouds and I have the Sonlight and a few other catalogs just for their booklists.

In wrapping up our eighth year of homeschooling, I feel like I've tried, or at least looked at, just about every elementary program on the block. Selecting a homeschool program that fits is trial and error, usually with a lot of errors! A couple of things I've learned:

1. Find a Math program you like and stick with it. Math seems to be the bane of homeschoolers' existence and is the worst subject for curriculum hopping. Not every kid is going to LIKE Math, so don't make yourself crazy trying to find one they enjoy. Choose one with a solid reputation -- Saxon, MUS, BJU, CLE -- and stay the course.

2. The Hive is not always right. The grass isn't always greener. Don't fix what ain't broke. Avoid the Flavor of the Month. And all those other homilies that basically say, when you find what works for you, don't be swayed by what other folks say. I've seen it many times over the years that Person A will come onto these boards raving about Program X, post in practically every thread about the wonders of Program X, get the whole Hive buzzing about Program X, persuade other families to drop what they are currently using to TRY Program X ..... then promptly drop Program X without a peep. It happens all the time. These boards are a wonderful place to find advice and encouragement. And these boards will also overwhelm and discourage you if you try to follow the trends.

3. You will make curriculum buying mistakes, sometimes BIG ones. Don't beat yourself up. My most costly error to date was $999 for a year of BJU distance learning for my youngest. (6 of the 8 classes are still in shrinkwrap after ten months -- I still haven't told my husband!) Chalk it up to the learning curve, and try again. But don't curriculum hop out of boredom, or because something else might be better. It usually takes 3 months to get into the groove of a new program. Always have a reason that something didn't work before you try something new.

4. Don't be so focused on the destination that you don't enjoy the journey.

Best wishes to you!

Wow Shari, today you win my Wisest Woman on the Planet award. (Now I should figure out how to insert one of those fandangled images!) So true. And not only so true, but I've gotta say I nearly SPEWED with the thought of those $1K video classes sitting there, all shrink-wrapped, lol. That's some mistake to have to admit, and we've ALL made them. I feel bad for you. Mine were probably more incremental, similar totals.

At least you've made me feel better for the day, lol. So can you sub-let those dvd's and get some cash out of them? Merciful sakes I think I would try. They don't have a guarantee or return policy?

Edited by OhElizabeth

I think it helps to figure out your own educational philosophy and goals. Write it down someplace and refer to it from time to time. Before we had kids, DS and I had decided we wanted to homeschool. When I thought about it back then, before having done any research, I knew I wanted to give priority to foundational skills like phonics and math facts in the early years while instilling a love of learning. I wanted to study history chronologically and tie in literature and science to our study of history. I even wanted to have my kids learn Latin and study logic. I liked the idea of a tutor who guided a child through exciting worlds of discovery (o.k., I'm not exactly sure how to implement that last part, but it was one of my early thoughts.) So once I started researching how to actually do this thing called homeschooling, I was THRILLED to discover that someone else had many of the same ideas and had written a book from personal experience of how to do it. The Well-Trained Mind really resonated with me and I re-read portions of it frequently to help keep things in perspective. My goals are long-term, not grade level based. Even I don't follow WTM exactly, but it is my framework and main reference.

When an interesting new writing program comes up on the boards, or when my friends are raving about a new math program or integrated curriculum, I might look into it, but if we don't actually have a reason to switch or add it to our existing work, there is no need for me to spend money on it or even try out the lessons. Good for them. I'm glad they found something that works for their family.

When there is a need (writing that just wasn't happening, math AGONY, etc.) then I do my research here. I find out who uses it and why (visual learner v. audio learner, ease of teacher planning, etc). I ask to borrow it from friends if they have it. I download sample lessons or send off for free videos. If I have the opportunity to look at it in person, or better yet, use it, I'll have a much better idea of how it would actually fit into our school.

And I'm notoriously cheap. :D I will spend big bucks on something that I've truly decided will help us in our school...if I have to. But I scour Ebay and Amazon and the sale/swap board here and compare prices between Rainbow and the publisher sites. I even ask friends if they would be willing to give, loan, rent or sell items to me. I do prefer to support the small publishers like Peace Hill Press and Queen's Homeschool, but for large ticket items I really search for the best price. And I can still support the small publishers by buying directly from them at a convention and saving the shipping charges.

So, that's what works for me. I'd say I've only made a couple of small "mistakes" if you will. But that doesn't mean I won't make other, larger ones in the future, only perhaps that I've limited how many there will be.