Menu

MFW, MOH, Biblioplan which do you prefer and why?

I would love to hear from anyone who has used one or more of these programs. What are the pros and cons? We currently use MFW and I love it for the most part. The simplicity of MOH and the 3 day week and integration of other books in BP appeal to me. I love how much bible is intertwined in MFW and I don't want to compromise that. If you have switched from MFW, do you feel there is enough bible in the other programs? If not what other bible study resources do you add to them? TIA

I cannot speak for Biblioplan having never used it (but I did consider it!). I have used MFW and MOH and it is difficult to compare b/c the 2 programs are like apples and oranges. MFW is so much more than just history whereas the focus of MOH is simply that...history. I enjoyed MOH very much. Bite-sized lessons, fun hands-on activities for all age levels, simple to use (open and go for the most part) and biblical. Was there enough bible? Well, it is focused on History being God's story so there was a lot of bible esp. in MOH1 (the only one we have used). But, MFW has Bible separate from the history portion...at least in the programs that we used (K, 1st and ECC). Having used MFW, you know that it includes science, bible, history, art, music, etc. and is very nicely laid out for you. If you wanted a break from MFW for a while, MOH is a good choice. I love most of the curriculum offered at Bright Ideas Press (CKE series for Science meshes nicely with MOH, btw). And, there are a ton of great devotionals, bible studies, etc. out there to use for Bible depending on the ages of your dc. For me, I wanted a program that had everything scheduled for me. That is why I went from MOH to MFW and now to HOD. I love all 3 programs. It really just depends on what you need for whatever season of life or homeschooling you are in. Does that makes sense? For us, HOD is fitting what we need for next year. MFW could fill that need in the next year or perhaps MOH combined with a CKE series and our own Bible. Who knows? So glad to know that there are such awesome, biblically sound programs out there for those of us who want that. :)

I agree with still using MFW with MOH. We do SL with MOH and we love MOH. Its history in small bites for the little ones or it can be history for the older ones in more dept. They have great suggestions after each lessons for crafts, more research etc.. for all the ages. You can add them all in or just pick and chose a few(which is what we did) or just read them out-loud. I love how MOH intergrates biblical history.

I agree with Sue it can be an open and go study and you will feel like you taught the kids a wonderful lesson.

Well, we are finishing Ancients with BP and I looked around again - just cuz it's a sickness...:tongue_smilie:and I ordered Year 2 for BP. I really liked it. I am going to simplify, though, and use MOH much more exclusively. I thought about just doing MOH, but I like the 4 year cycle the way it is planned with BP - I liked that it was chronological, but also grouped by topic or culture or area. I like that it goes a little bit faster than MOH and moves past it, since there isn't a Vol 4 yet. I like the lit. suggestions and the maps and timelines of BP. I love MOH, though - and I am going to do it more completely - a lot more activities for my guys...so I will have to read a little less of what BP suggests...but still follow the schedule/plan.

I have looked at MFW countless times, but always have trouble with the cost and also with the Usborne type titles...we don't do well with those. A very good friend has used it for years with her boys and is really burned out with sooo many different books at the same time. We have had that a little with BP, but that's why I am going to back off of it. Pretty much just MOH and a great read-aloud, plus the boys reading their own reader - but again, less so we have time for the extra research or project for my youngest.

BP is really pretty cheap. I just saw a Middle Ages guide on classifieds today for like $18.00 - but new is still cheap too! It's a great backbone and you can add what you want!