Menu

Introducing myself and a question or two...

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on your board for a few weeks now and gaining a bunch of information and encouragement.

My name is Ronette and I have a high schooler.;) We've been homeschooling since he was in second grade. I also have an 11 year old and a two year old.

My high schooler is a boy and he's 15. We've had a rough start to high school even though he is a very highly intelligent kid. We've had some character issues that have really slowed us down. We did 9th grade work last year and have been doing 10th this year. He really feels like he's squandered some time and wishes he had it back.

I presented him with this option: Go back and count this year as 9th grade and do 10th next year. I feel like this is a suitable solution for us as he started K when he was 4 so it almost feels like we have a built in year that we can use. On our current track, he would be graduating at 17 (b-day in early Nov.). If we take the extra year, he will graduate at 18.

Since we live in CA, there is no "authority" over us who has seen any of his work or his report cards, etc. He is very ambitious at this point and, I think, finally able to really take the school work seriously.

Any thoughts on this? If we do this, his 9th grade year would be what he is taking right now:

Bible

Geometry (he actually finished the Chalkdust program and just started Alg 2 a week or two ago)

English (he's doing Analysis for Effective Communication and some Progeny Press guides)

Biology (this is an honors class he's taking through The Potter's School)

Latin 1 (also through The Potter's School)

Introductory Logic (finished in the first semester)

History (we've been reading through Streams of Civilization)

I really feel like I need some help here.:) He is seriously contemplating what he wants to do with his life. He's at a crossroads there. He may decide to go into the sciences majoring in microbiology. His other passion is gov/politics so he still may decide to go that way.

I'm trying to keep as many options open as I can. Anyone care to hold my hand?

Thanks so much for reading and for any advice you can offer.

what I would do is sit with him and plan out 1. all the courses he HAS to take to get his high school degree, 2. all the courses he HAS to take to qualify for a decent college (aim high - better to be over qualified for some colleges than under qualified for the best) 3. all the courses not yet mentioned YOU want him to take and 4. any courses not yet listed he thinks he'd like to take.

Do you have three or four years worth of courses? How many will he have already taken by the end of this year? This may help you both decide whether to call this year 9th or 10th grade. Hope this helps!

JFS - I have one sophmore, an 8th grader, a 5th/6th grader, and a silly boy

(autistic twin to the sophmore).

I might add - out here in IL 9th grade is biology and geometry for most kids. I think you could easily call this year 9th grade.

If he is amenable to taking another year (counting this one as 9th grade), I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Another year of maturity in some boys makes a huge difference. My youngest son is 17 and a junior--he'll turn 18 right after graduating from high school, and enter college at 19.

Bible

Geometry (he actually finished the Chalkdust program and just started Alg 2 a week or two ago)

English (he's doing Analysis for Effective Communication and some Progeny Press guides)

Biology (this is an honors class he's taking through The Potter's School)

Latin 1 (also through The Potter's School)

Introductory Logic (finished in the first semester)

History (we've been reading through Streams of Civilization)

Ronetta, First off, Welcome :)

How does he like Latin at TPS w/ Mr. Spotts?

Ronetta, First off, Welcome :)

How does he like Latin at TPS w/ Mr. Spotts?

Thanks for the welcome, Beth.:001_smile:

He loves Latin with Mr. Spotts! He really likes his teaching and is doing well in the class. He'll be taking Latin 2 with him next year.

Kathleen, he is very amenable to taking the extra year. :thumbup1:

JFS, thanks for the input!:001_smile: We mapped out what he will take over the next three years this afternoon and it looks good.

So far, I can only see pros to this direction. Are there any cons I may not be seeing?:bigear:

Guest Katia

Welcome!

I'm a little late here, but I wanted to let you know we did this same thing with my dd. She is a 18yo senior this year, but we "did 9th grade" two years!

The reason for this was because she was young and had the time, and she had just discovered her musical passion and wanted an extra year to get up-to-speed so she could audition at colleges and major in this new-found musical instrument!

She will still be 18yo when she graduates this spring, but 19yo when she enters college in the fall.

This has been very advantageous to her: she is more mature and sure of herself, she has had an extra year to add academics (icing on the cake for her), and most importantly she has practiced and become very proficient in 5 years on her instrument. She was NOT ready for college auditions after only 4 years of study!

My dd was very amendable to taking that extra year as well. Just wanted to let you know it works. :001_smile:

Welcome to the boards!