Menu

Users of Rod and Staff Reading

daybreaking

For those of you who have used Grade 2 Rod and Staff Reading, I'm wondering how long each lesson took to complete. Specifically, if you did the exercises in the teacher's manual, how much time did it take to work with your child? Then, for the part of the workbook the child does independently, how long did that usually take your child? A comparison with Grade 1 would be helpful, as well. Thanks so much!

You specifically mean the Reading which is the Bible readers and workbook right? We don't do anything from the teacher's manual. Never have. It's basically reading comprehension so we don't do anything other than the workbook. My 2nd grader takes a while to do a lesson so I write "outloud" and "written" on sections of the lesson so she only had to do some written and some oral.

It takes us about 20min. twice a week to finish one lesson. We don't do any exercises in the teacher's manual, but I do ask him a few questions about the lesson.

Thank you, this is helpful. Since you are doing one lesson a week, are you planning on just finishing part of Grade 2 reading or are you planning on extending it over another year or so?

You specifically mean the Reading which is the Bible readers and workbook right? We don't do anything from the teacher's manual. Never have. It's basically reading comprehension so we don't do anything other than the workbook. My 2nd grader takes a while to do a lesson so I write "outloud" and "written" on sections of the lesson so she only had to do some written and some oral.

Yes, just the Reading. (We also do the Phonics, but I feel I have a good handle on that.) I absolutely loved Grade 1 Reading, so I have been excited about beginning Grade 2; however, yesterday it took us over two hours (and some tears) to complete all of the TM exercises and the workbook. I looked ahead and some lessons have six pages, compared to yesterday's four, so I can only imagine how long that will take. DS loves the reader and I do love what he is learning, but I also want to balance the time with everything else we want to do. So, with your DD doing some outloud and some written (and with not doing the TM), do you have an estimate of how long it takes you each day? Thanks again!

We also did only the workbook and reader for grade 2. Dd was a little ahead and started in the second half of 1st grade, at age 6. We worked 20 minutes a day (which is all I wanted her to spend on written work at that point), and it took approximately 2 days per lesson. I had her read the story to herself and then read aloud to me, also doing all the writing.

This year dd finished up grade 2 and started grade 3, at age 7. She was able to do the complete grade 2 lesson in about 30 minutes (without reading aloud to me). Same for grade 3 -- takes about 30 minutes.

Sorry, but we have never used the teacher manual, either.

Take care,

Suzanne

We also did only the workbook and reader for grade 2. Dd was a little ahead and started in the second half of 1st grade, at age 6. We worked 20 minutes a day (which is all I wanted her to spend on written work at that point), and it took approximately 2 days per lesson. I had her read the story to herself and then read aloud to me, also doing all the writing.

This year dd finished up grade 2 and started grade 3, at age 7. She was able to do the complete grade 2 lesson in about 30 minutes (without reading aloud to me). Same for grade 3 -- takes about 30 minutes.

Sorry, but we have never used the teacher manual, either.

Take care,

Suzanne

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It's very helpful for me to have the perspective of experienced users.

Thank you, this is helpful. Since you are doing one lesson a week, are you planning on just finishing part of Grade 2 reading or are you planning on extending it over another year or so?

I'll just continue with grade 2 until he finds it too easy, then we'll move up. I started in January with this so I knew we'd never finish in a year.