Menu

Does this Latin program exist?

Sue G in PA

Here is what I want: Inexpensive and can be re-used with multiple children. Simple to teach or can be used independently by the student (7th and 9th grader). Will not bore them to tears (or me for that matter). Good instruction meaning it is a solid program. I think that is it. I would really like to use The Latin Road, but unless we come into some money btwn now and August, that isn't going to happen! So, I want dd13 and ds12 to take Latin, finally, but need something like I described above. Does this exist? Thanks.

Here is what I want: Inexpensive and can be re-used with multiple children. Simple to teach or can be used independently by the student (7th and 9th grader). Will not bore them to tears (or me for that matter). Good instruction meaning it is a solid program. I think that is it. I would really like to use The Latin Road, but unless we come into some money btwn now and August, that isn't going to happen! So, I want dd13 and ds12 to take Latin, finally, but need something like I described above. Does this exist? Thanks.

:lurk5: 'Cause I'm interested in responses.

Latin Prep

At HorribleBooks.com:

LP Book 1 - $17.91

LP Book 1 Answer Book - $14.07

Optional for Level 1:

Workbook A: $8.95

Workbook B: $8.95

Workbook Answers (includes both A and B): $8.95

Also optional is the audio component, downloadable from Galore Park for 20 GBP.

We finished Latin Prep 1, and we liked it a lot; but I don't think most kids will be able to use it independently. Latin is fun and worth the effort; but it's not easy.

Latin Prep is straightforward, but I wouldn't hand it to any but the most highly self-motivated child to do alone.

Laura

How long do you want each book to take? I have been quite relaxed - having started Calvin on the books at around age nine, he's still working through book three at thirteen. Hobbes is going to complete about half of book one this year.

The first book (the others are longer) has about 130 exercises in it. The exercises probably take about half an hour each on average. Teaching time is probably fifteen minutes every two exercises or so. You would also have to schedule memorisation time: fifteen minutes a day would be good - less at the beginning of the book, more as time goes on.

So, to do book one in a year, you maybe would have to schedule about five half-hour sessions a week, plus an extra fifteen minutes of memorisation daily. Your intensive teaching time might be about half an hour a week, but you would have to be available to help at other times.

If you wanted to use the workbooks too, that would add a little to your students' work time (maybe an extra fifteen minutes a day, on average) but not much to your teaching time.

Others may have different ideas for scheduling - Calvin is not a particularly fast or enthusiastic worker. FWIW we do Latin Prep quite differently. Calvin and I do a lot of work orally - he tends to do the Latin to English exercises as written tasks on his own, but the English to Latin we do together. For the latter, he does the work, but I give encouragement and hold the answer book to help him if he needs it.

Laura

Thanks Laura. For my 9th grader, I really hope to have her work through Book 1 in a year, assigning 1 credit for this. She is also doing Spanish so I might have to play this by ear. As for ds12, my 7th grader, we can be a bit more relaxed. Having had no prior foreign language experience, I hope he can get through 1/2 the book by 8th grade and finish it by 9th. This seems doable, yes?

Thanks Laura. For my 9th grader, I really hope to have her work through Book 1 in a year, assigning 1 credit for this. She is also doing Spanish so I might have to play this by ear. As for ds12, my 7th grader, we can be a bit more relaxed. Having had no prior foreign language experience, I hope he can get through 1/2 the book by 8th grade and finish it by 9th. This seems doable, yes?

It's definitely doable. The second and third books really ramp up the learning, so it's good to get the first book learned really solidly.

Laura