Menu

History Channel's America: The Story of Us - anyone watching tonight?

I learned something new as well -- 12,000 captured rebels died on British prison ships in New York Harbor, three times as many that died in battle. Anyone know if this is true?

I must admit I was skeptical when the expert commentators at the beginning were people like Michael Douglas and Aaron Sorkin. Then as it went on the commentators were more historians, politicians, and military personnel. Why all the Hollywood at the beginning?

I am also leary of the fact that they are giving it out to schools for free -- to anyone who requests it on their website. I am thankful, because I am on the list, but the fact that President Obama introduces the film and they are giving it away for free makes me wonder what sort of bias they are trying to pass onto our kids. This is not a political statement against Obama at all -- I would just as leary of Bush doing it. :) Nothing is ever "free," you know.

I love the perfect timing of it though! We are right at this point in SOTW3.

Edited to add: And why was the founder of Wikipedia included? I think many of the choices they made for commentators (aren't these supposed to be experts?!?) were rather odd.

AND -- You can download it at this site through itunes: http://www.history.com/shows/america-the-story-of-us/episodes/

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

I must admit I was skeptical when the expert commentators at the beginning were people like Michael Douglas and Aaron Sorkin. Then as it went on the commentators were more historians, politicians, and military personnel. Why all the Hollywood at the beginning?

I am also leary of the fact that they are giving it out to schools for free -- to anyone who requests it on their website. I am thankful, because I am on the list, but the fact that President Obama introduces the film and they are giving it away for free makes me wonder what sort of bias they are trying to pass onto our kids. This is not a political statement against Obama at all -- I would just as leary of Bush doing it. :) Nothing is ever "free," you know.

I tend to agree with this. I am a bit leary myself and will probably preview it before letting the kids watch it.

:iagree:

I wondered the exact same things (wondered ahead of time why they were giving it out for free and what propaganda might have snuck its way in there, and then wondered about the choice of commentators).

But...I watched it tonight and must say I thought it was very well done, and if there was any "bias" in the program, I didn't catch it (and I'm usually very sensitive to that). Looking forward to the rest of the series!

We are watching it now, but it started at 6 pm here. There have been a wide variety of commentators. Miltary leaders, historians, actors, writers, lots of different people. I don't think it's shady to have the POTUS introduce a documentary on the history of the US. Rudy Gulliani and Newt Gingrich have been among the commentators.

So far, my biggest problem is not really *bias*, but things that have been left out. For example, the reason the British government decided to raise taxes on the colonists was not given (to pay for the Seven Year War). There were a few other things that I disagreed with in the way in which they were presented. But, it is making for good conversation with my kids.

Overall, I think it was well done. They did leave things out (out of necessity), but as you said this led to discussions with my oldest. The show said John Rolfe brought over Spanish tobacco, but my oldest informed my husband that actually John Rolfe combined the Spanish tobacco with the Native American tobacco to create a new type of tobacco to take back to Europe (thanks SOTW! :D ).

There were a couple of names in the show I wasn't familiar with -- the British general that was only able to move a mile per day, and also Plum Martin. I found a Joseph Plumb Martin, who was essentially a trench digger who wrote a memoir -- the Revolutionary Era's version of Hollywood? He was a story teller (as are Aaron Sorkin and Michael Douglas). But really, isn't all of history a story? And who better to tell it than a story teller?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Plumb_Martin

I really wanted to watch it but my eldest was having trouble winding down after a day spent at Sea World. I turned it on, forewarned him that it would be graphic (he is six) and reminded him that it was past his bed time. He was riveted. I had to pretend it was only an hour long otherwise he would never have gone to bed. I missed the 2nd hour, so I am glad to know it is replaying. As a Canadian, we learned US history (I knew about the rebels on the British ships) but it will be an experience to see it all in one fell swoop.

I had no preconceived notions, but I was interested since I did put in an order for the free copy this summer, so I watched it. I felt like they skipped some big parts (the founding of New Amsterdam by the Dutch was barely touched upon, for example, and I think the Spanish colonies in the south were entirely left out as well), but I understand that time constraints meant things did have to be limited. I did like that they got in some references to people like Baron von Steuben, and I also liked that they portrayed Paul Revere and others as real people as opposed to Founding Fathers. I'm not entirely sure why they let profanity into it, especially if it's going to be shown in school settings (there was one commentator who let out the D word), but maybe that will be edited out. I'll be interested to see how the rest of the series goes. Overall, I did enjoy it.

We all enjoyed it. Dh and I were just going to watch the first few minutes and before long all three girls were downstairs watching last night at 11:00. We did stop it and watched the rest this afternoon. It wasn't fabulous in-depth history, but it was a great review of what we've learned and I thought pretty well done. It helps that we visited Jamestown and Yorktown this last fall so they had a *real* place to put to the events. KWIM?

I learned something new as well -- 12,000 captured rebels died on British prison ships in New York Harbor, three times as many that died in battle. Anyone know if this is true?

I love the perfect timing of it though! We are right at this point in SOTW3.

Edited to add: And why was the founder of Wikipedia included? I think many of the choices they made for commentators (aren't these supposed to be experts?!?) were rather odd.

AND -- You can download it at this site through itunes: http://www.history.com/shows/america-the-story-of-us/episodes/

I agree.

Overall, I really liked last night's episode, but there were a few comments I wish they would have refrained from making, as I will either have to watch and fast forward through them when I let my kids see it, or wait until they are old enough to understand and process it.

I really did not like the man who portrayed Washington. His smirk seemed almost devious looking - not at all like the man I picture when I think of him.

I thought it humorous (in a sad way) that the British were "appalled" at how the patriots picked off the officers, yet didn't seem to think it barbaric at all to keep 12,000 rebels on their ships in such unthinkable hellish conditions.