Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poohma

What History curriculum for 10th grader?

We have used Sonlight, tried TOG for a brief time, and most recently my son has used Omnibus III at a co-op setting.

The very gifted mom at co-op who was teaching the Omnibus course is no longer going to be there next fall. I think Omnibus might be too overwhelming for me to teach on my own. I coudn't seem to keep up with TOG, and both my kids disliked the reading selections. I am trying to weigh the differences btwn Sonlight, TOG, and Omnibus, but am not even sure how to compare them.

My son loves history, but I am not sure what he needs to cover for history in high school. Can someone please help us by telling us what needs to be covered for 9-12 grades and help us with some recommendations on curriculum for college preparation?

Thanks!

Although I've only taught Omnibus 1 and 2, I'd say it's the least overwhelming of the 3. Practically no planning whatsoever, a schedule for you, all discussion questions have answers, sample essay answers for you, etc. You don't even have to read the books, if you don't want to.

I would look at the colleges your son is considering. Most need two years of world history, a semester of Gov't, and some American history. You can cover Gov't in a semester as you cover year 3 of history, and you can imbed most of your Am History in the context of your world history--

We did Omni 1 and 2, Sonlight 300 with major tweaking, and some Early Modern history (year 3) with Gov't the last year.

I wouldn't sell yourself short on your ability to teach Omnibus. We've been doing Omni III this year and it's been very doable. It's all laid out for you. The biggest part is making sure you schedule discussion time, but that will be true with all three options. If Omnibus is working for him now, then don't stop just because you are afraid of trying it on your own.

Heather

How does Omnibus work?

My son is going into 10th grade in the fall. We just starting using Omnibus this past year (starting with Omnibus III). Does he go on to Omnibus IV? or Omnibus I because he missed it?

Then for 11-12th grades, I don't see any Omnibus core manuals. How do you teach it for these grade levels?

Different options : a) You could continue with Omnibus IV textbook which is geared for 10th grade. The CD that accompanies the text has answers to all the discussions questions and essays. It also has your schedule for weekly reading and writing assignments. So it is very easy to follow.

b) Since you son loves history you could consider an AP History course through PA Homeschoolers. You could choose between European History and U.S. History. European History uses Spielvogel's Western Civilization text that you may be familiar with through Omnibus.

HTH!

If you choose Omnibus, I would go with Omnibus IV rather than using Omnibus I, which covers the same period. Omnibus IV is made for 10th grade and would be very open and go at that level. The questions, essay requirements etc are all geared toward the Rhetoric student. Omnibus I has difficult books that can be used at higher levels but since it's geared toward 7th grade you'd probably have to been up the questions and the writing a bit. You want open and go - so why do that if you don't have to.

Omnibus V is due out this fall with Omnibus VI the year after.

Heather

If we were to put Omnibus on the high school transcript, how does Omnibus III, IV, V, and VI translate to History courses taken?

For example, Omnibus III is American History?, Omnibus IV is ?

I am just throwing MFW World History out there for a 10th grader. I haven't taken it, but am looking at it for when my dd is in 10th. She's going to be doing the MFW Ancient this year and is really looking forward to it! If it goes well, we'll stick with MFW for World.