Menu

Recipe ideas for Napa cabbage that are *not* salad or slaw?

I have a recipe that's really good, but it's kind of half salady, half entree -

You brown some chicken strips, cook some soba noodles, then mix those and the shredded cabbage together with a peanut sauce. Very yummy hot, cold, or even room temperature. Also very quick to make.

I'm not sure what is Napa Cabbage re:other cabbage. I like swedish red cabbage (cooked with vinegar, butter, sugar--add jelly and apples towards the end.. PM if you want the whole recipe. Ever look on allrecipes.com? I find sooooo much stuff there.

Lara

Napa cabbage is sometimes called Chinese cabbage. It is more leafy than regular cabbage. It's almost like a cross between cabbage and romaine.

Chop coarsely and simmer in ramen noodle broth, add the noodles once half cooked and make ramen the usual way. I do half Napa, half noodle, so the saltiness and starch is diluted.

Cut crosswise into 1/2" pieces. Saute with little oil on very high heat (cover) until nearly done. Add a little water (if needed) some minced ginger and garlic, stir a few times, add some cornstarch to thicken the liquid, and a zap of soy sauce (or google Chinese white sauce for ideas). Yum.

DH makes a sauteed/stewed cabbage dish with coconut milk, mustard seed, and other spices. It's really good - but it's his specialty, not mine. If you're interested, I'll ask him for the recipe (he's out of town at the moment so I can't just now!).

Caught a lucky break in a Google search. This is the webpage that originated the dish. DH plays around with the recipe (leaves out the ginger, usually), but basically this is what he does: http://akshayapaatram.blogspot.com/2006/07/sodhi-cabbage-cooked-in-coconut-milk.html. I have no idea what the "puris" is that she recommends serving with this dish.

(Forgive me, I don't know how to do that cool thing where you just put in a word like "this" and it magically links to the webpage you're referencing.) :confused:

Caught a lucky break in a Google search. This is the webpage that originated the dish. DH plays around with the recipe (leaves out the ginger, usually), but basically this is what he does: http://akshayapaatram.blogspot.com/2006/07/sodhi-cabbage-cooked-in-coconut-milk.html. I have no idea what the "puris" is that she recommends serving with this dish.

(Forgive me, I don't know how to do that cool thing where you just put in a word like "this" and it magically links to the webpage you're referencing.) :confused:

Hit the reply button at the bottom of my post.

Now, you see the icons above the text box? There is one that looks

like a globe with a link of chain on it. Copy the website, highlight the word that you want to act as a link, hit the globe icon, a box will pop up, paste the website into that box. Voilà!