Menu

Stephen King fans, what's your favorite SK book?

Bag of Bones-a love story , a ghost story, a mystery.

It -Pennywise the clown , a few young people take a stand against a serial killer who has been active for generations. Awesome and coming out on audio on May 13. Yay.

The Shining.

Dolores Claiborne.

The Library Policeman-my favorite novella . I am not a rabid fan or any such thing...

I found Under the Dome to be... lacking. If you liked it, though, you'll love his other stuff. :)

I've always liked The Tommyknockers. I read Eye of the Dragon, way back in high school and thought it was good. Cell is awesome if you like post-apocalyptic fiction. I also really enjoyed The Green Mile and Lisey's Story.

Stephen King's son wrote a book that's really good too, called Heart-Shaped Box. Be sure to give that one a try.

Were there others after Cujo? Because I remember reading that in mid- or high school and know I never picked up another. Or got a big dog. Or went to houses of people with big dogs. Or drove anywhere by myself. :tongue_smilie:

Cujo scared me the most because the story is possible.

The Shining remains one of my favorites because it was the first King novel I read.

Insomnia was just an excellent story. Same with Eye of the Dragon. The Gunslinger series was very good, although I was a bit disapointed in the final book.

It's so hard to pick just one favorite. :-) I LOVE the Stand and have since I was in high school. I've reread that many, many times and every time I go through one of the tunnels into NYC I think about that scene.

Other favorites: Firestarter, Carrie, Cell, Pet Semetary (but as a parent find it very disturbing), It, Talisman (with Peter Staub). I love the short storie collections - Different Seasons is really good.

Most of his movie adaptations are pretty weak but Firestarter and The Shining are good.

I do have to say - I was never able to get into the Gunslinger series. The first one (or two??) were okay but then BORING - endless pages walking through the desert. I don't know if it got better because I never tried that one again.

O.K., I have to jump in. My brother and I were in a debate a couple years ago as to who would be considered a great writer after they died. Stephen King's name came up, and at first I laughed. The more I thought about it though. He has some thought provoking work behind him. Granted some are just good, scary, dime store novels, but one can't dispute the genious behind some of his work. My favorites are...

Storm of the Century (mini series)

The Stand

the Green Mile

Rose Madder (should be required reading for anyone entering the field of domestic violence which I used to work on the fringes of)

The Library Policeman (who avoids fines? I do I do)

Children of the Corn

Love his short story collections -- b/c he can actually FINISH a story. :lol: Many of his novels have unsatisfying endings. Just After Sunset is the latest & it is awesome.

I always liked Danse Macrabre -- non-fiction about horror movies.

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft was interesting --- am I the only one who didn't know he had a coke addiction?!?!?!

Otherwise add me to the list of those who loved:

The Stand

Talisman

Girl WHo Loved Tom GOrdon

Carrie

Oh goodness... The Talisman is my favorite, followed closely by The Stand, Bag of Bones, Insomnia and Misery. I know I'm missing a few. LOL! We own every one of his books.

The three bolded titles are some of my all time favourite books! I haven't read the others... would you say they fall under the camp of big-creepy, horror King, or more little-creepy, thought-provoking King? I can't really handle much horror these days, but would love to read some more of his milder stuff.

I haven't read everything by him, and I get creeped out by some of the more demonic/dark stuff, but I loved The Stand.

The Shining was quite good, and you know what's fun? Rent it as a movie (with Jack Nicholson, not the newer one) and watch one of the special features--Stanley Kubrick's daughter (Sophia, I think) did a short film about the making of The Shining. It's on the DVD. Do you know they developed the Steady Cam and were the first to use it in a major motion picture? It's a fascinating look at how Kubrick got what he wanted from his actors, too, esp. Shelley Duval.

Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game have an interesting connection, too. At one point, the characters supernaturally interact--it's in a scene where Dolores is looking in a well, I believe. But Gerald's Game is too sexual for me to really enjoy, tho I thought it was well-written.

I loved The Green Mile and actually bought it a book at a time--it came out as a serial, every few weeks. Really interesting to experience the story that way. Loved the Shawshank Redemption as a movie--but never read it.

IT scared the carp out of my son as a movie--I don't want to read that one.

Stand By Me is actually quite good, too--not scary, really. And a good movie, perhaps one of his best adaptations.

And I love the stories he published as Richard Bachman--nicely written and stay with you a long time.

The Shining remains one of my favorites because it was the first King novel I read.

Insomnia was just an excellent story. Same with Eye of the Dragon. The Gunslinger series was very good, although I was a bit disapointed in the final book.

Same here.

The three bolded titles are some of my all time favourite books! I haven't read the others... would you say they fall under the camp of big-creepy, horror King, or more little-creepy, thought-provoking King? I can't really handle much horror these days, but would love to read some more of his milder stuff.

Bag of Bones - I think this is one of his on writing, but I could be wrong :p

Insomnia - A good book, the main character suffers from... Insomnia ;) It is big creepy (from what I can remember), but I believe it's got a happy ending.

The Gunslinger series was very good, although I was a bit disapointed in the final book.

Absolutely on the last Dark Tower book. After all those years of waiting to have it end that way!

:banghead:

On Cujo, what got me was the boy's closet!! :w00t: Forget the crap about the dog, I still think of that to this day!