Menu

New Jersey, yo!

We are also in central NJ. However, I don't homeschool my kids. I am a recovering curriculum junkie who is lightly afterschooling an 8 year old dd and a 6 year old ds.

You know, I read this and got all excited! Then I looked at the user name. :rolleyes:

Hi!

Hi,

I frequently visit this board and am in Central NJ...well, Hunterdon Co., but right on the edge of Mercer County if any of you are familiar. I have a son, 17, in public school, but still homeschool my two daughters, ages 8 and soon to turn 12. I was involved in 2 hs groups here that were great, but could not keep up due to chronic illness of mine, but am thrilled to still be able to teach my girls at least. We "try" to be classical, but in truth are a classical, cm, ECLETIC mix. Great to see other NJ girls!

Janice

Hey Jersey Girls... We're here at Exit 98.

My dh, Alex hs's the 2 girls FT and in between chases after our 3 yr old son.

We started our journey by using Five in a Row as our nighttime reading when our oldest was in Pre-K. Then our weekends grew to include all the activities for the book we were rowing that week. Then later our vacations began to revolve around places we had researched and were curious to visit. Finally when she was in 4th grade PS - we decided the school schedule was just getting in the way of her real education :D

Our 5yr old dd is using FIAR, R&S 1 (Math & Lang Arts), Handwriting for a Reason A & Explode the Code 1.5.

Our 11 yr old dd is using Saxon 8/7, R&S 5 Lang Arts & Science, Seq. Spelling, Latina Christiana 1, Handwriting for a Reason F & Wrirting Strands. (And she still loves FIAR) ;)

Our 3 yr old is just beginning My Father's World.

Nice to meet you all!

Hey Central Jersey peeps, does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Green Valley co-op? If you do, can you share, or PM? I've been wanting to join, but have a few (very minor) reservations and would just like to hear a little more about it, if possible.

TIA!

And Anj, doggone it, we have to get together. I'll PM you when I have a chance and know what our next week or so will look like!

Yo, Melissa!

I don't think I've heard anything bad about Green Valley. Of course, I may be getting confused between the co-op and just the regular group. Or are they the same? Not sure.

My girls used to take dance classes (at a certain place, I can tell you where later) and there were two or three other homeschool families and they all knew each other through Green Valley. It sounded like they had a lot of good activities, and I really liked those women, sooooo......

I wish I could remember their last names, because I could try to find them for you. They were great.

Oh, and yes! I would love to get together again. This week is nutty, maybe we can try for next week? We'll pm/email! za4.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Jersey girl here....Exit 5 (Eastampton, next to Mt. Holly) :D

I was born & raised in Philly, but I've lived in Jersey for 15 years. Oh! And my youngest son was born here ;)

PHilly girl also lived in Eastampton (in FL for the past few years). thinking of moving back, probably Jobstown. Are there many homeschool supports there? My son was 3 when we moved. :001_smile:

I am up in the mountains. I live near Tuxedo, NY, but I am in New Jersey. I have the New Jersey state Botanical Gardens in my town.

I would like to know how many of you are going to the Enoch convention this year. If you are, I would love to get together and meet. Where? Maybe the Peace Hill Press Table?

Blessings everyone in Jersey!

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I would like to know how many of you are going to the Enoch convention this year. If you are, I would love to get together and meet. Where? Maybe the Peace Hill Press Table?

Hi there!

I don't live anywhere near you, but I'm in NJ too.

I am planning to attend ENOCH, but I don't think that PHP is going to have a table this year. I think that some of us are planning to meet up at the Tapestry of Grace table, though.

I have a little Well Trained Mind button that I intend to wear. I wonder if they're still giving those out?

Hi there!

I don't live anywhere near you, but I'm in NJ too.

I am planning to attend ENOCH, but I don't think that PHP is going to have a table this year. I think that some of us are planning to meet up at the Tapestry of Grace table, though.

I have a little Well Trained Mind button that I intend to wear. I wonder if they're still giving those out?

I'll be at the TOG table. :001_smile:

What time are you going to be at the Tapestry of Grace table? Is anyone going to the class with Marcia Sommerville? Her class is on Saturday at 12:15 PM. If anyone is going there maybe we can meet and then talk after class. I would love to meet some of you.:auto:

I am going over to PHP and getting a button or a T-shirt or something to identify myself.

Blessing to all,

Karen

It's hilarious that New Jerseyans always identify themselves by their "exit." I lived in the Midwest for years and out there my friends always introduced me as being from New Jersey. Then I would inevitably be asked, "Oh, yeeeeaaaahhhh, wut EXIT?" in what could only pass for a Texan trying to sound like he was from Brooklyn. It really was funny.

We're in Ewing Township, outside of Trenton. No particular exit.

What time are you going to be at the Tapestry of Grace table? Is anyone going to the class with Marcia Sommerville? Her class is on Saturday at 12:15 PM. If anyone is going there maybe we can meet and then talk after class. I would love to meet some of you.:auto:

I am going over to PHP and getting a button or a T-shirt or something to identify myself.

Blessing to all,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Hi Karen,

I'm working the TOG table, but I'm not quite sure yet when I get breaks. I hope to hear Marcia at some point because she is a fantastic speaker. Meeting noon on Saturday at the TOG booth sounds like a good plan. Of course, feel free to stop by any time to say hi.

Karen

I'll be at the TOG table. :001_smile:

I am planning to go to ENOCH on Saturday, and I would love, love, LOVE to meet some of the ladies from WTM! I want to see Marcia speak, and I think her time slot is around 12noon. Hopefully, we can all plan to meet before or after that. :grouphug:

Hi NJ girls! I'm here too! NE corner though - Livingston!

Hadn't planned on going to ENOCH yet...but I'm considering it...wondering about a WT table!! My FIRST convention as a vendor...yikes! Am I brave enough? NOT sure.

I grew up in Marcia Somerville's neighborhood on Cape Cod - kind of fun, huh? My brother is best friends with her youngest brother. Fun facts.

Hi, Karen, aka Testimony!

Hey, anyone interested in a classical co-op? The Vine meets in Morristown....send me a message if you want to know more! We have a few openings for next year. PreK through 9th grade, classes in Latin, Logic, Science, Writing and History.

If I end up at ENOCH, come and say "Hi" to me!

Amy

Hi NJ girls! I'm here too! NE corner though - Livingston!

Hadn't planned on going to ENOCH yet...but I'm considering it...wondering about a WT table!! My FIRST convention as a vendor...yikes! Am I brave enough? NOT sure.

I grew up in Marcia Somerville's neighborhood on Cape Cod - kind of fun, huh? My brother is best friends with her youngest brother. Fun facts.

Hi, Karen, aka Testimony!

If I end up at ENOCH, come and say "Hi" to me!

Amy

Amy!!! You have to have a Writing Tales table. I need to buy your curriculum. Please come.

Blessings,

Karen

• 4 weeks later...

:seeya:

Central NJ, Hunterdon County here. Born in Bergen county, lived in Hudson county for 5 years then my family moved to Hunterdon County. Came back to Hunterdon County to raise my family after my single years in FL and Middlesex County, NJ. (Former 'Melody' chick here for those of you that might have gone to Rutgers).

I'm lucky to have my parents 15 minutes away and my brother 15 minutes in the opposite direction.

Close....but not too close. ;)

:seeya:

(Former 'Melody' chick here for those of you that might have gone to Rutgers).

I'm lucky to have my parents 15 minutes away and my brother 15 minutes in the opposite direction.

Close....but not too close. ;)

Very funny! I actually have a friend who met her dh at the Melody, so they named their dd after it! :bigear:

Karen, aka Testimony - Yes, I WILL have a Writing Tales Table at ENOCH!

I would love to meet everybody - please come find me and say hello! Karenciavo, if I get a chance, I'll swing by the TOG table during setup time to see if I can say hello to you.

It seems so far away....but it will be nice to meet everybody!

• 1 year later...
Guest NJRoadie

We are eclectic homeschoolers and members of an awesome secular homeschool group we can hardly keep up with :)

Raised near exit 1 but love living in central NJ!

OK, I don't live in NJ anymore, but thanks so much for the walk down memory lane. I loved the title to this thread--I still say "yo" sometimes even though I haven't lived in NJ since 1980.

I grew up in Newton, in Sussex County. I was born in Montclair, my grandmother lived in Verona, I went to church for years in Bloomfield, and we had dear friends who lived in Nutley. I have relatives who live at the shore, my close great-aunt lived in Livingston for 50 years, my allergist was in Cherry Hill, and I remember passing Elm often. And I remember that the nearest mall to us was in Rockaway--we would make a foray there annually for clothes before school started.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mrscrafty

Hi girls! I am also at Exit 98. I have lived here since I was 12 with a few moves to TX.

I only homeschool my 9 yo. My 6 yo attends PS.

We are not involved in any groups here due to my driving limits. No one seems to be right near me.

We decided this year to try WTM and just the prep is getting me excited :)

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...