Menu

Scholars Online?

Yes, my son has taken numerous classes with them (literature, writing and Latin). It is a top academic organization, and highly recommended. Do you have any specific questions?

Just trying to scope out high school possibilities. Another child we know through our drama troop uses them, and they thought we might like to check it our. Thanks for the feedback!

How difficult is it to miss classes? We're considering a trip to overlap with Thanksgiving - so would miss two weeks of classes - can they be "made up" or is real time attendance critical?

I think it probably depends on the class. There is always a transcript of the discussion, and if the student still does the work (reading literature, translating Latin, whatever), it should be okay. I would simply contact the teacher for the class and discuss the situation. They are quite easy to work with.

Coming in late here, but I just wanted to add my .02. My dd, 13 is currently taking Omnibus I, Primary and Secondary through Scholars Online, and it has been the highlight of the school year for her. She LOVES the discussions and interacting with the other students. The class is challenging, which is part of the attraction for her. We have never had any trouble with missed classes. The student is responsible for finishing the work assigned in the class period missed, and the student can also get notes from other students if desired. My dd told me just the other day that one of the students in the course would be missing up to 3 weeks of class because he and his family were taking a missionary trip to Russia, and they weren't sure how available internet would be.... I'm sure that this student had to make some special arrangements with the teacher, but of course the teacher would want to make it as easy as possible for a student to take such a worthwhile trip, kwim?

The teachers have been wonderful to work with. On occasion, I have emailed the teachers with questions, and they have been very quick to respond, and very open to communication.

I have already enrolled dd in Omnibus II primary and secondary, and Latin II for next year.

HTH, Jackie

First, the positive. I love the History and Literature classes my dc has taken this year. Those classes have been well organized and my dc has been very challenged and really enjoys those classes.

Now for the negative. Although my dc also enjoys the AP science class, it has NOT met our expectations. As of today, dc has had no grades returned for labs, has only had two real tests (which took months to get graded), no practice AP essay questions, and the class is not even scheduled to finish the textbook until the end of May (the AP exam is in the beginning of May so I have my dc working outside of class to finish the book ahead of the exam). The regular and AP class meet at the same time twice a week and at the beginning of the year both classes had one paragraph essay questions due every week. They haven't even had those since Chapter 9 and they're on Chaper 30 now. The additional AP class (for which we paid extra $$$) has been, well, a joke. The teacher simply asks if they have any questions about the material covered thus far. Twice the teacher has not shown up for class and has had someone appoint themselves the moderator and go over things amongst themselves. I suppose if my dc had only signed up for the regular class, not the AP option, I wouldn't be as upset because he has learned a lot through this class, but right now I feel like my dc has not had any AP preparation through the class for the upcoming test. By the way, this problem is apparently not limited to just my dc's science class. A friend of mine whose dc is in a different SO AP science class is having similar frustrations.

Bottom line: I'll definitely be signing up dc for other classes at SO, just not the AP science classes until I see changes made in how it's taught.

Just my $.02.

Thanks Kathleen - a question for you and the other responses (thanks!) - are you referring to Scholars Online

http://www.scholarsonline.org/ *or* Veritas Press http://resources.veritaspress.com/Scholars_Online/Scholars_Online_Main.html

It's confusing because they have the same name - but as far as I know the first one doesn't offer Omnibus - thanks so much!:)

My dd took 3 classes last year. SOL(her first with the program) I had never known about such programs and I thought the descriptions and so on were very interesting. Thumbs up with the Latin. The only thing is you have to send in a lot of different assignments with SASE. (went to the po and got the appropriate amount of postage (1 oz, I believe plus the envelope) for all of the assignments ahead of time. (so you don't have to keep going in) The tests were heavier. It is nice to live near the NW because she wants to see things arrive in a timely manner. Tests have a postmarked date. You have the summer to study for the final. Latin is all good.

Literature-she was at the bottom of the age range for the course, but an excellent reader. (She still struggled, and didn't do all that well on the weekly quizzes.) Her writing isn't strong enough to be able to handle the essays required for the tests. I must say, however, was that the variety and information (World Lit) really spilled over into her other academic arenas. I read some of the assignments out loud so we tried to read them twice--(75 pages per week of text) There was no way she could take notes on all this information in one week. (but again, she was only 12, and she did have the three classes) However, her self confidence took quite a hit when she barely passed the course, and the feedback on the essays was accurate, but not complimentary. Her reading and vocab was challenged, but she didn't feel ready to continue with the next level. (she skipped this year) Now she doesn't want to return to SOL, because she will not be getting "credit" for the classes. She's doing an accredited program, either U. of Miss or Indiana. But I have told her that generally the classes at her grade level will have lots of writing, but not as interesting of reading. (she has read a lot of highschool books already)I feel that the SOL lit offers the best for readers, that don't want to have to do a paper every week! (more reading, less writing) = More enjoyable for me!

Lastly-the science- our experience was similar to the other person. The problem was that there was no textbook to read, only web pages that you printed. For the final the stack was about 5 inches thick (single side) and when I took it to tennis where I was trying to organize it, the other parents couldn't believe it was for a 7th grader! I think in previous years they did have a text, but not at this time. It was very interesting how history and science combine, but again, her abilities were not enough to do well in the course. Again, the honest feedback can be tough on your self esteem. I must add however, that her reading and vocab really improved, but it was really too hard for a 7th grader to do 3 classes. And I was surprised when she did one of the prep tests for college, is that her reading puts her at college level! But she still wasn't ready! HTH!

Is there an audio component, or is it all text? (We've been doing Potter's School this year and you can hear the teacher and see his or her computer screen as s/he talks.) I'm interested in some SOL classes and am wondering how they are run. Thanks for any info!

~Laura

There is no audio component at Scholars Online. It's all text, but it works very well! My son has had both audio and text only, and he actually prefers the text only (although he didn't dislike the audio). If you scroll down a bit on this page, you'll see their rationale for not using audio.