Menu

Help with finding world history curriculum to meet specific needs

I want to work with my two teen daughters and possibly add a few other teens to make it a class room situation for a high school world history class. My girls teach themselves most of their subjects or take classes out and I want to be more involved next year. They will be 8th and 10th grade and I want to try to catch and work with any academic weaknesses they may have that I haven't picked up on. Ideally I would like to cover things like reading comprehension, vocabulary, thinking skills, etc.

My upcoming 10th grader recently took a sample ACT and did not do as well as I would expect given her academic abilities. She makes A's in any class she takes (nothing too rigorous but she is a good student), but a few things are a little off there and I can't quite put my finger on it. When she took the Stanford a year ago, she did test weaker in reading comprehension than in other areas, and this has been a minor issue for her all of her reading life. She was an excellent reader from an early age, just with weak comprehension compared to the other abilities. She's good at reading and regurgitating info, but I want to make sure she is prepared for more than that.

I plan on adding some Teaching Company lectures. I may even plan to take two years on the course. They already take Worldviews of the Western World and get philosophical content and analysis, etc. there, but I would like to cover specific critical thinking questions regarding historical events in my course. So I guess I am saying I would like a text(s) that are comprehensive, academically rigorous but not ridiculously so, and that require a wide variety of tasks from the students on a consistent basis.

I would like the course to be from a Christian perspective but am open to other texts that aren't anti-Christian. Or if you have ideas for piecing a course together I'd like to know.