Menu

The Pilgrim's Progress

Donna T.

I'm looking for a good version of The Pilgrim's Progress to read aloud to 2nd and 5th graders. They are both mature listeners as far as vocabulary and what they can comprehend and understand but my oldest is a little on the immature side as far as being sensitive to things like giants and other fantastical creatures. I would love a version with pictures but I'm afraid any very intense pictures would turn him off.

Any favorites?

I would look at Helen Taylor's Little Pilgrim's Progress. It's absolutely WONDERFUL. They could draw their own pictures as they listen. I read it to dd ages ago and keep wanting to do it again. :)

:iagree:

My kids LOVED that book, too! This year we got "Dangerous Journey" with the MFW:Rome to the Reformation package, and we haven't enjoyed it nearly as much. (In fact, my kids are frightened by some of the illustrations.)

Oh, great! That's the one I had chosen but I just wasn't sure. Having them draw pictures is a great idea. I heard of someone doing that with one very long piece of butcher paper that they hung in their hallway. I had forgotten about that idea.

Thanks so much!

:iagree:

My kids LOVED that book, too! This year we got "Dangerous Journey" with the MFW:Rome to the Reformation package, and we haven't enjoyed it nearly as much. (In fact, my kids are frightened by some of the illustrations.)

I was particularly wondering about that edition. Thank you.

We've been reading the version from Answers in Genesis. My second grader and kindergardener have enjoyed it along with the olders. There's about one pencil drawing for each section, which they always need to see. It has the full length text.

We have read The Dangerous Journey and quite liked it, too. However, I prefer to keep to the original text if possible. The question sections are great for when they get older. The grade 5 child may be able to use some of them.

My vote would be for the Answer in Genesis version - both if you have the budget.

I would look at Helen Taylor's Little Pilgrim's Progress. It's absolutely WONDERFUL. They could draw their own pictures as they listen. I read it to dd ages ago and keep wanting to do it again. :)

:iagree: We read it aloud as a family some years ago, and I was as equally enthralled as my kids.

Edited by Krista in Colorado
Typo