Menu

If I volunteer as a description writer, what could I put on my transcript for it?

I am going to start volunteering at the local animal shelter and I will be going Morning care giving for cats and evening care giving for cats. (They barely have any dogs. Too many people don't like cats where I live. Poor things:crying:) Anyways, I also signed up for a special job they just began. It is actually a staff job but they only have one woman doing it, and that is writing descriptions for the animals on there websites because who would want to adopt an animal they don't know about? Anyways, I am only 16 and the job is for 18 year-olds so I had to send her a sample and I am waiting for her reply.

Could I put this down as anything on my transcript? Penmanship, computer work, etc?

Community Service. Community Leadership. Career Exploration or Service Learning (learning through serving the community.)

Here in So Cal many high schools require so many hours of community service for graduation, so colleges are used to seeing it on transcripts. It definitely deserves mention on your transcript. Keep a portfolio of the hours you put in along with samples of your writing and any letters or commendations you get from your bosses.

Hope you get the job -- the age requirements can be sooo frustrating.

I agree with Jenn that I would title it Community Service or something like that, but in the details you can include that one of your tasks was "copywriting" -- that is, the writing of "copy" (or content) for publication. In this case it's the website rather than print, but it's basically the same thing.

Thanks for asking this tg, now I'm curious, also! :001_smile:

My dd is doing the same thing. She's just 13, but she helps take pictures and write up the descriptions, as well as being the assistant in the cat room once a week. This is her first love, and the people there are good enough to realize she has potential, and is a harder worker than some of the adult volunteers. I appreciate their helpfulness with her!

I hadn't thought of putting it on a transcript though. It's not something you get the credit hours for, right? Just that you did a certain amount of volunteer work/community service? Does that go on a different page, or where? I guess that would depend on how the transcript is made up--I do mine by what is done each grade, not by subjects done overall.

I can get it documented by the Humane Society though, since they keep the volunteer hour records. Would I keep a copy of that with her transcript as well?

Thanks for asking this tg, now I'm curious, also! :001_smile:

My dd is doing the same thing. She's just 13, but she helps take pictures and write up the descriptions, as well as being the assistant in the cat room once a week. This is her first love, and the people there are good enough to realize she has potential, and is a harder worker than some of the adult volunteers. I appreciate their helpfulness with her!

I hadn't thought of putting it on a transcript though. It's not something you get the credit hours for, right? Just that you did a certain amount of volunteer work/community service? Does that go on a different page, or where? I guess that would depend on how the transcript is made up--I do mine by what is done each grade, not by subjects done overall.

I can get it documented by the Humane Society though, since they keep the volunteer hour records. Would I keep a copy of that with her transcript as well?

Maybe you could attach the volunteer records to the back of the transcript or even make a special box at the bottom that mentioned extra things she does.

The Common Application (which several hundred colleges use as their application) do indeed have a volunteer hours category. I imagine most college applications do. They also have a section where one can include employment and extra curricular activities.

Regards,

Kareni