Menu

Is Muzzy Really Going to Work?

Now I see why I've had trouble just switching to French with my kids. My anxiety level is too high, and I jump in to translate, thinking there's no way they can be understanding. I can't just trust the process. How are they going to suddenly understand??

Humorous example: At one point in Muzzy, army soldiers are repeating, "Emmenez-le, emmenez-le!" ("Take him away, take him away!") and my kids, having no clue what they are talking about, are now marching around the house shouting "Homminy Lou! Homminy Lou!"

Just trust and keep going, right?

I translated everything, English first then French, for a few days, then switched for another few days, and after another few days began leaving off the English translation after the things I thought they probably understood. After a few weeks, I offered the English translation only if requested or if it were very important (a safety issue or something). Now my French was pretty simplistic, which might have made it easier, but I think you can safely trust in the process as long as you supply enough hours of input.

You know, to my French ears, I would probably understand "homminy-lou"

It's really quite close :)

LOL. I know, I understand it, but the way they are saying it makes me realize that THEY aren't understanding it. I think they think it's someone's name!

I translated everything too. I couldn't tell what was going on without the transcript in Spanish and English. (Obviously we did Spanish.) I realize I'm not a child; but neither is a cartoon full immersion.

We spent a good bit of time on that program in preschool, and we've been doing Spanish ever since (6th grade). It would be interesting to go back and watch it now to see if we can follow it now.