Menu

For the Mathematically/Science minded...

Would this be way too much, overkill, doable or just plain NUTSO! :lol:

5th:

Apologia Zoo III; Human Body; Botany

Singapore 5A/5B

LOF Fractions & Decimals/Percents

AoPS Creative Problem Solving

6th:

Apologia General Science

Singapore 6A/6B

LOF Pre-Algebra w/ Biology

AoPS Intro Algebra

7th:

Apologia Physical Science

Singapore DM ~ Pre-Algebra

LOF Beginning Algebra

AoPS intro Counting and Probability

8th:

Apologia Biology & Supplement I

Singapore DM ~ Algebra I

LOF Advanced Algebra

AoPS Intro Number Theory

9th:

Apologia Chemistry & Supplement II

Singapore DM ~ Geometry

LOF Geometry

AoPS Intro Geometry

10th:

Apologia Physics & Supplement III

Singapore ~ DM Algebra II

LOF Trigonometry

AoPS Intermediate Algebra

11th:

Apologia Advanced Physics/Chem/Bio?

Singapore? Pre-Calc & Trig

LOF Calculus

AoPS Pre-calculus / Int. Counting & Prob. ???

12th:

Apoloiga Advanced Chem/Bio/Physics???

Singapore? Calculus

LOF Statistics & Linear Algebra??

AoPS Calculus

I have read in threads how some supplement with LOF and AoPS... do you have your students work through ALL of these, in addition to another curriculum? How do you find balance, rigor, yet not going CRAZY!

5th:

Singapore 5A/5B

6th:

Apologia General Science

Singapore 6A/6B

AoPS Intro Algebra

7th:

LOF Beginning Algebra

8th:

Singapore DM ~ Algebra I

LOF Advanced Algebra

AoPS Intro Number Theory

9th:

Apologia Chemistry & Supplement II

Singapore DM ~ Geometry

LOF Geometry

AoPS Intro Geometry

10th:

Apologia Physics & Supplement III

Singapore ~ DM Algebra II

LOF Trigonometry

AoPS Intermediate Algebra

11th:

Apologia Advanced Physics/Chem/Bio?

Singapore? Pre-Calc & Trig

LOF Calculus

AoPS Pre-calculus / Int. Counting & Prob. ???

12th:

Apoloiga Advanced Chem/Bio/Physics???

Singapore? Calculus

LOF Statistics & Linear Algebra??

AoPS Calculus

I have read in threads how some supplement with LOF and AoPS... do you have your students work through ALL of these, in addition to another curriculum? How do you find balance, rigor, yet not going CRAZY!

My comment is for the math section only.

Do you plan to do these three full curriculums? If so, realize that even though there will be some overlap, this will take a great amount of time.

Another idea is to pick one, say Discovering Math, as your main curriculum and supplement with LOF and AoPS.

Also, if you are going to do that much math you could choose a book which would give a more pure math approach in addition to one of the above. If your child were ever to decide to go into graduate level math, pure math is the focus at that level, although a person can decide to branch off into applied math after that. Some examples of more pure math texts are Dolciani Modern Algebra or Modern Algebra: A Logical Approach by Allen. (The second book is one of the books Charon recommended in earlier posts, but unfortunately it is hard to find.) Then you could also combine with a book that gives a more applied math approach...like DM or AoPS.

You could also pick your two favorites and go through those. Three full math curriculums seem like a lot. I did four math courses in one semester during my senior level of college, but my math advisor advised me not to. Some people really like math. ;)

Good luck. :)

One thought is that it may work for YOU, but it may not be what HE ends up wanting to do! I think it's great to plan it out so you have direction, but just be open to him switching gears on you at some point. ;)

My ds16 was a math wiz when he was young. He hit a wall, though, and now is right on level with his peers, when he used to be way ahead! At first I thought he just needed a little break, but it was brakes, and it took awhile to get him going again.

Some kids do that. Some kids keep going full-steam. So, JUST IN CASE, be open to switching gears with him at some point and heading a different direction that interests him! It will be just as good because it's what he really wants to do! :D

5th:

Singapore 5A/5B

6th:

Apologia General Science

Singapore 6A/6B

AoPS Intro Algebra

7th:

LOF Beginning Algebra

8th:

Singapore DM ~ Algebra I

LOF Advanced Algebra

AoPS Intro Number Theory

My comment is on the math as well. AOPs are full courses and the introduction to algebra is not pre-algebra, it's algebra I. So for 6th you have LOF pre-algebra and AOPs intro, those texts would not line up, and doing LOF beginning algebra the next year would be redundant.

I can't comment on the science as I don't plan on using Apologia. My son is math/science oriented. Here's what we have done so far.

5th:

Sing PM 5a

LOF Fractions

LOF Decimals & percents

6th:

Dolciani pre-algebra (part of the book)

LOF pre-algebra

next year, 7th:

LOF Beginning Algebra w/Dolciani Algebra as back up.

8th:

AOPs Intro to Counting and probability

(we might add side math activities, such as math logic or history of math)

9th:

Geometry (text undecided)

10th:

Algebra II (probably Lials as I own it, but not fully decided)

11th & 12th

?

ETA: I've been fortunate to find several recommended math texts very cheap. My goal is to teach from one main program and have the others handy for reference.

Edited by elegantlion

One thought is that it may work for YOU, but it may not be what HE ends up wanting to do! I think it's great to plan it out so you have direction, but just be open to him switching gears on you at some point. ;)

My ds16 was a math wiz when he was young. He hit a wall, though, and now is right on level with his peers, when he used to be way ahead! At first I thought he just needed a little break, but it was brakes, and it took awhile to get him going again.

Some kids do that. Some kids keep going full-steam. So, JUST IN CASE, be open to switching gears with him at some point and heading a different direction that interests him! It will be just as good because it's what he really wants to do! :D

:iagree: Be prepared to be flexible in your scheduling... your child may do all of what you planned. However, he/she may decide on a different path. And you need to be okay with that. Always keep the discussion arena open so stress levels on them will not occur and they look on schoolwork as a negative but a bridge to college/career. And let it be THEIR choice... especially as they enter high school. BTW, we dropped Apologia once we hit 8th grade... didn't like the fact it was TOO WORDY, creationist POV, and lacked in some areas for our science loving kiddo. But that is just my preference.

Edited by tex-mex

Great advice ladies, especially in regards to being flexible. And I so GET THAT! In high school I so badly wanted to into a certain field, yet my dad was insistent I went to a particular college and I rebelled BIG TIME! UGH!

Now that I have come back down to earth and have been here for a while... :lol: I see the ramifications it all had in MANY ways.

Thanks!

:iagree: Be prepared to be flexible in your scheduling... your child may do all of what you planned. However, he/she may decide on a different path. And you need to be okay with that. Always keep the discussion arena open so stress levels on them will not occur and they look on schoolwork as a negative but a bridge to college/career. And let it be THEIR choice... especially as they enter high school. BTW, we dropped Apologia once we hit 8th grade... didn't like the fact it was TOO WORDY, creationist POV, and lacked in some areas for our science loving kiddo. But that is just my preference.

May I ask what you are using for Science instead of Apologia?

Elegantlion,

You mention using part of a Dolciani text... this may sound stupid, and I'm sorry... but how do you know what to piece together and not have any gaps etc???

We started on the Dolciani book before the LOF pre-algebra book came out. My ds tends to get math concepts easily so we are continuing with LOF this year and if he has trouble I'll pick out problems from the same concept in the Dolciani book.

I plan to use the Algebra I books in the same manner.