Menu

What can we use for high school french??

Hi! My dd has decided to stick with French for hs, rather than switch to Spanish. We have only lightly touched on French at this point, and I really want to start her out with a pretty traditional French 1 course next fall. I took several years of french in high school and college myself, but it was a long time ago. I can guide, and speak to her, but am not extremely good at it. I saw that Easy French offers an upper level french course and that First Start French is suppose to be worth a year of hs level french, if both the first and second courses are utilized. I'm not sure about other options. I would prefer not to have to piece this together from multiple sources, with the exception of using a computer program for some added practice. Any recommendations?

TIA!

I'd recommend going through the Potter's School or using the Bob Jones DVDs.

We've done both. One daughter is doing French I through the Potter's School. The teacher is excellent, and I've been quite pleased with the class in every way.

We also have done Spanish I and II using the BJU DVDs. These too are excellent.

I have a background in both languages, which helps but is not essential. I would compare either route (Potter's School or the BJU DVDs) to a standard American high school foreign language class.

HTH,

Lynn

ps - Potter's School registration for new families opens up next week, I believe.

Thanks for the good ideas! Potter's school seems a bit spendy to me? BJU looks good, but rather religious? We tend to gravitate toward secular materials. I'll have to take a look at Auralog. I think I've heard of it, but never looked into it at all.

:o)

The video portion is free from Anenberg Media. I found all the books/workbooks second hand. I did spring for the cds even though there were a lot of used audio cassettes out there.

I liked the fact that it is an immersion program and that it is two college years (making it 4 highschool years). Very easy to throw in some french films (netflix) some readers and maybe a few novels (Le Petit Prince) and get a well rounded curriculum out of it.

The video portion is free from Anenberg Media. I found all the books/workbooks second hand. I did spring for the cds even though there were a lot of used audio cassettes out there.

I liked the fact that it is an immersion program and that it is two college years (making it 4 highschool years). Very easy to throw in some french films (netflix) some readers and maybe a few novels (Le Petit Prince) and get a well rounded curriculum out of it.

Where can one find this French in Action and get the video portion free?