Menu

BJU Math vs Math-U-See

Chloe

Could someone compare these two for me please? Academically are they pretty equal? I'd like to stick with either one through high school. Which has more constant review? My ds10 has mostly used spiral maths, as he needs lots of review or he forgets past concepts. However, he doesn't seem to really GET what he's doing. That's especially important because he wants to be an engineer. I need to find a mastery math program with plenty of review. Rod & Staff is definitely out! We started out with that for 1st grade and half of 2nd grade. We had tears every day. To this day he loathes the thought of R & S.

Thanks!

I can't compare the two. Sorry. I have used BJU 5 this year and it's the best my son has done in math so far. He enjoys it. However, we just finished the chapter on fractions and I've decided that it's not enough. He's not getting it and I just can't continue to move forward. I've been researching MUS all morning. ;) I've decided to just go ahead and make the switch. I can see the wisdom in this program NOW that I have a 5th grader! :glare: I am seeing gaps in my other boys too. So, I'm just pulling the plug and buying this program. The more I think about it; the more it makes sense. Hopefully, if we use this program and try to get some of the past concepts under his belt, he will do well in the future. He's struggled with large numbers in multplication, division and now, fractions. So, it's time for a BIG change.

I hope in some way this helps you. I don't know. BJU is a good program. I planned (until this wk) to purchase it for next year. But, my gut is telling me to back up and rethink.

Good luck!

Thanks! I must admit, MUS was what came to mind first. I had ds take the placement test today and he would start in Epsilon. I guess that's not too bad. I do like the fact that MUS would be less teacher-intensive than BJU. I just worry about the higher levels not being strong enough.

Thanks! I must admit, MUS was what came to mind first. I had ds take the placement test today and he would start in Epsilon. I guess that's not too bad. I do like the fact that MUS would be less teacher-intensive than BJU. I just worry about the higher levels not being strong enough.

Personally, and this is my PERSONAL opinion, I would not use MUS for a child wanting to go into engineering. I just wouldn't.

As for BJU, the new editions are much more academic and have a lot more review than the older editions. Also, instead of switiching to something completely different in scope and sequence, why not get some Key To... books to help cement in those trouble areas. Or buy some inexpensive CLE Math Light Units that have daily review and have your ds do those 1x or 2x a week. I don't know. I personally would exhaust all my options before switching to MUS. I've used two years of it...their Gamma and their Geometry...and, sadly, I was not impressed. Again, my opinion. You'll have others who gush on and on about it, which never fails to boggle my mind. :confused:;):lol::D

I've used both BJU Math and MUS. Which one fits better depends a lot on your teaching style and your child's learning style. It sounds like right now you are after mastery and that certainly fits MUS. Honestly, I think they are both good programs and you really can't go wrong though.

If you are looking for something you can stick with through high school, well I just wouldn't look for that :001_huh:. The truth is if your child wants to go into a math related field MUS is probably not strong enough in the high school years. However, most people have to use BJU with DVD's in high school and that may not be feasible for you either. I would pick the best program for elementary math, then re-evaluate high school when you get there.

The programs considered best for high school math do not make elementary curriculums with the exception of Saxon which is the opposite of what you are looking for.