Menu

Question for nurses or those in nursing school

I'm considering going to nursing school. It was my intent years ago, but I dropped out when I got a full time veterinary assistant position. I know it will be hard, but is it doable when homeschooling? I should say, is it doable homeschooling a 10 yo Aspie/dyslexic and 8 yo neurotypical child? Our family also runs a seasonal business, but I only work on weekends and would be able to study at work. I'm in no rush to get this degree, so won't be taking on a heavy course load.

Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks!!

I imagine you'll get some replies from people who are nurses in a bit.

My experience is with teaching math at a cc with many hopeful nursing students trying to get into the programs.

Nursing programs are packed with students who want to become nurses. When looking at a program, ask specifically about the pass rate of students on the nursing exams. If you go through a program but can't pass the nursing exam, you're still not a nurse.

The two schools I've taught at have wait lists for the nursing programs. I see a lot of students who want to be nurses but who won't even make it into the programs. Check out the prerequisite courses that are needed before the nursing degree. At my school, that's math (now through statistics), English, science (anatomy/physiology - another major weed-out course) and one or two other classes.

Taking the prereq courses while homeschooling should be doable. But you may want to go slowly. I'm teaching 2 courses two nights a week, and I'm really really really looking forward to taking the summer off and having some free time. I have needed those other 2 nights of not teaching to get my work done.

Once you're in the nursing program, you probably would need to be only taking those courses - or if you're still homeschooling, be aware that you would have no free time during that time. But for many students, given the waitlist, once they decide they want to get into a nursing program, they still have 2-3 years (!) before they start taking their nursing classes.

Hope this gives some ideas... and if not, at least it'll give you a bump :)

Good luck!

I am recently divorced and have a BS degree. I *thought* I wanted to go back to nursing school b/c there is an AAS program in my little hometown. I have many of the pre-reqs, but not the sciences. I took the A&P sequence last fall and spring of this year while homeschooling and proceeding through a l-o-n-g, emotional divorce. Happily, I was able to score A's in both classes, but it was not easy and I certainly had some *moments*. I would not recommend taking more than one class per semester with all your other committments, and certainly not more than one class while taking A&P. Can it be done? Certainly, but it may be a lengthy process. I'm sure if this is your desire, if would be well worth it in the end. Nurses seem to have no problem getting jobs. I'm taking time off now, because my ultimate goal is to continue homeschooling my children and focusing on them.

Best wishes.

I'm considering going to nursing school. It was my intent years ago, but I dropped out when I got a full time veterinary assistant position. I know it will be hard, but is it doable when homeschooling? I should say, is it doable homeschooling a 10 yo Aspie/dyslexic and 8 yo neurotypical child? Our family also runs a seasonal business, but I only work on weekends and would be able to study at work. I'm in no rush to get this degree, so won't be taking on a heavy course load.

Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks!!

Once you take your pre-requisites you will then need to apply to nursing school. If you get accepted then you can't choose your work load. You go each semester, following the design of the Nursing Program. I'm not sure which type of nurse you are talking about becoming though. I went through the Bachelors Program, and it took 4 years. One for pre-reqs, and 3 for the program. You don't get to choose your work load once you're in it. There will be class days and clinical days where you actually work in the hospital for training. I absolutely do not want to discourage you in any way, but the amount of study time required will be extreme. It will be something that you will have to do every day.. not just on the weekends. I don't know how willing you are to shuffle the kids school around, but you could possibly school them after you get out of class, but it would be very difficult. Now, if you went to LVN school, that program would only take a year, then you could go through upward mobility to get your RN. I know, it's a lot to take in. I would recommend you go talk with your local university's Nursing Program and see what their schedule is like. They will be honest with you in terms of how doable your situation would be.

Again, I hope I didn't discourage you in any way. I know that nurses are usually people who have deep desires to help people, and it's hard to just forget about it. I home school my kids and work only one day a week. On that day that I work I school them when I get home, and it's very hard because the momentum of the day is gone. So we try to double up on Mon. and Tues. so we can take off Wed. completely. Even just half a day, one day a week is difficult to do and home school. I just want to be realistic with you. I hope you find that balance and can do what your heart wants. Sometimes it's very hard because you have to sacrifice so much for your kids....:grouphug:

The two schools I've taught at have wait lists for the nursing programs. I see a lot of students who want to be nurses but who won't even make it into the programs. Check out the prerequisite courses that are needed before the nursing degree. At my school, that's math (now through statistics), English, science (anatomy/physiology - another major weed-out course) and one or two other classes.

Thanks so much for the insight! I know that programs around here are packed, since our economy is so bad (MI). In some ways I feel bad about possibly getting into the program and taking someone's place who really *needs* the degree and the job :(. I'm doing this for me, which is why I may wait until my kids are done with hs.

I've already had taken anatomy and physiology, but unfortunately it has to have been within the past 8 years to transfer. That's OK, I could definitely use the brush up :D.

I am recently divorced and have a BS degree. I *thought* I wanted to go back to nursing school b/c there is an AAS program in my little hometown. I have many of the pre-reqs, but not the sciences. I took the A&P sequence last fall and spring of this year while homeschooling and proceeding through a l-o-n-g, emotional divorce. Happily, I was able to score A's in both classes, but it was not easy and I certainly had some *moments*. I would not recommend taking more than one class per semester with all your other committments, and certainly not more than one class while taking A&P. Can it be done? Certainly, but it may be a lengthy process. I'm sure if this is your desire, if would be well worth it in the end. Nurses seem to have no problem getting jobs. I'm taking time off now, because my ultimate goal is to continue homeschooling my children and focusing on them.

Best wishes.

I took A & P before, but as I said above, found that it won't transfer because it has been longer than 8 years. Hopefully, I'll have a leg up this time around :).

Best wishes to *you*! It sounds like you've had a lot on your plate.

Once you take your pre-requisites you will then need to apply to nursing school. If you get accepted then you can't choose your work load. You go each semester, following the design of the Nursing Program. I'm not sure which type of nurse you are talking about becoming though. I went through the Bachelors Program, and it took 4 years. One for pre-reqs, and 3 for the program. You don't get to choose your work load once you're in it. There will be class days and clinical days where you actually work in the hospital for training. I absolutely do not want to discourage you in any way, but the amount of study time required will be extreme. It will be something that you will have to do every day.. not just on the weekends. I don't know how willing you are to shuffle the kids school around, but you could possibly school them after you get out of class, but it would be very difficult. Now, if you went to LVN school, that program would only take a year, then you could go through upward mobility to get your RN. I know, it's a lot to take in. I would recommend you go talk with your local university's Nursing Program and see what their schedule is like. They will be honest with you in terms of how doable your situation would be.

Again, I hope I didn't discourage you in any way. I know that nurses are usually people who have deep desires to help people, and it's hard to just forget about it. I home school my kids and work only one day a week. On that day that I work I school them when I get home, and it's very hard because the momentum of the day is gone. So we try to double up on Mon. and Tues. so we can take off Wed. completely. Even just half a day, one day a week is difficult to do and home school. I just want to be realistic with you. I hope you find that balance and can do what your heart wants. Sometimes it's very hard because you have to sacrifice so much for your kids....:grouphug:

Your post is definitely not discouraging! It's realistic! That's what I wanted to hear. I wasn't sure how it worked once you're in the program and if I'm *required* to take a certain number of classes per semester in the program, it may be better for me to wait a while longer. I'm going to talk with our local community college and see if they have additional advice.

Overall, I am fortunate to have a business that gives me about 5 months off each year (except for homeschooling, obviously) and when the business is open, it is conducive to some study on the job. I would love to start improving myself and get a degree. Nursing seemed like a natural choice, since it's where I started, and I'm very interested in the medical aspect. I may look into some other degree programs as well, but nursing feels right :D.

I also am a CC professor that teaches a prerequisite class to nursing, which is the #1 major at the campus where I work.

It's a tough program at my college, but they have a 100% pass rate and excellent placement program at a time when local hospitals are laying off nurses (yes, really). If you are willing to take any job and/or do as-needed work, you certainly will have work. It's harder now to get into the specialities right now, but if you have reasonable expectations, you'll be fine.

It's not something I could manage or would enjoy, but I know a number of local homeschool moms who are working their prerequisites with idea of being ready for going full-time when their kids are older.