Menu

Summer school?

We usually do "light" school throughout most of the summer. Usually we are finishing up our history (we always go down rabbit trails, so we never finish by the end of the school year), and trying to keep up skills in math, and doing summer reading, etc.

As I look ahead to high school (ds is finishing up 7th grade this year), I think summer would be the perfect time to do 1/2 credit requirements. In our state, ds needs 1/2 credit in government, and 1/2 credit in economics. It seems like he could take these in "summer school", one, say, between 9th and 10th, and another between 10th and 11th grade. How hard is it to complete a semester of work in the summer (say, 10-12 weeks)? Does anyone else do this kind of thing?

Wendi

The summer between 10th and 11th grade, my ds did EPGY's Introduction to C Programming--a series of 3 courses that were designed to take about 12 weeks each, throughout a school year. By spending several hours a day in the summer, though, ds was able to complete the whole 3-course series in one period of 12 weeks. Not only was it a good deal financially (payment was by 3-month period of time--so he did 3 for the price of one), he had a great time doing it (was very interested in programming) and I was able to put it on his transcript as a 1-credit elective.

So I'd say, yes, you could certainly do this. I would just make sure it's a topic your dc is interested in, and that your summer is free enough to spend more time per day on it than you would during the school year.

HTH :001_smile:

Edited by Musicmom
fixed typo