Menu

Taking an older child through Phonics Road? Tina?

Sue G in PA

I have a rising 5th grader and 7th grader who I am contemplating taking through Phonics Road at a speedy pace. The 5th grader's spelling isn't solid, but has improved this year. However, he has NOT learned the "rules" or "whys"...he just memorized words. The 7th grader has never been a great speller. He, too, has improved this year but does not know the "whys" either. It is all memorizing, phonetic spelling or asking Mom how to spell! I LOVE Phonics Road for my ds9 and ds7...I have seen such improvements in ds9's confidence in spelling since using it. 5th grader and 7th grader will be home next year for school and I was hoping to start NOW by taking them through PR1 and PR2 (which I already have) and then hoping to get through PR3 and PR4 by end of next year for them. Does this sound doable? How would you suggest doing this speedy pace? I will skip the readers in PR1 b/c their reading is right on target. This is more for spelling. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am taking my 11 and 13 year old through right now. We are in Level 1. They have both done great and had amazinly good attitudes about it. My husband and I talked it over and decided that in the end it was better to have a solid foundation than worry about ages.

I am cruising through fast. I do a week of spelling every day! We are not doing the reading books either. It is not that bad to do that much in one day, takes 30-40 minutes. I am not sure I am going to be able to do Level 2 that fast but we are able to go really fast with it. I am amazed that my 13 year old boy belts out those songs no problem. I did some....attitude priming by being very loose with the chocolate chips at the beginning so that helped. :lol:

Stacey

I am taking ds8 through PR1 right now. We are currently doing 1 week per day as well. Soon, we might have to slow down, but for right now...he hasn't had any major problems with any words. Ds10 and ds12 will likely cruise all the way through Level 1. I just got PR2 today so I haven't looked at it to see how fast they could likely go. I am hoping to get through both this summer and start PR3 in Aug. Doable? Ya think? Chocolate chips are a GOOD idea! :D