Menu

algebra 1 question: MUS-Foresters-Chalkdust

We are using CD Pre-Algebra right now, and my 13 ds is struggling. We've been doing the book for a year, with just a couple of weeks off in the summer, and he is just finishing Ch. 5!! He seems to get it when I explain it to him (we ditched the dvds because he said it helped him better if I just taught the lesson to him), but then he misses so many problems. A lot of it is silly errors, like addition and multiplication errors and negative/positive mistakes. He is not a mathy kid and wants to major in history or international studies. I have several friend who use MUS and love it-we used it until Epsilon-so I went and had a look at the algebra book. They were doing what we are doing in CD preAlgebra in the MUS Algebra book sample for Ch. 10. So, I guess my question is, should I pursue the more rigorous programs, like CD, Lials, & Forester's or go with something like MUS or TT? right now he hates and math and feels really dumb because he makes so many errors. I feel like I need to do something to build up his confidence. Would the Key to books help?

Thanks for any advice!!

Kim,

One or two things are going on. Your son sounds like mine with CD Prealg. What ended up being true was that I was a year early with the math, AND it was too hard. Since we had so many math troubles with ds, with dd, we did Prealgebra in 8th grade, and Algebra 1 in 9th. And, I ditched Chalkdust. We use BJU, but I would also look at MUS and TT. If you can borrow it for a trial, that would be best, or take your son to a bookfair and see which one he prefers.

That Chalkdust PreAlgebra book is a college book. After doing BJU Prealgebra with dd, I can easily say that you can do the easiest third of the problems in Chalkdust and be more than fine. If you son is burned out, I would get a 7th grade text for the remainder of the year (I like BJU Fundamentals of Math, an earlier edition is fine, and you can get it used for cheap), and redo PreAlgebra next year in an easier text (BJU is great, you don't need dvds for prealg., your son will think he died and went to heaven!).

Again, your year went just like mine did with ds back then, and the problem wasn't ds, it was the CD!!!

Kim,

One or two things are going on. Your son sounds like mine with CD Prealg. What ended up being true was that I was a year early with the math, AND it was too hard. Since we had so many math troubles with ds, with dd, we did Prealgebra in 8th grade, and Algebra 1 in 9th. And, I ditched Chalkdust. We use BJU, but I would also look at MUS and TT. If you can borrow it for a trial, that would be best, or take your son to a bookfair and see which one he prefers.

That Chalkdust PreAlgebra book is a college book. After doing BJU Prealgebra with dd, I can easily say that you can do the easiest third of the problems in Chalkdust and be more than fine. If you son is burned out, I would get a 7th grade text for the remainder of the year (I like BJU Fundamentals of Math, an earlier edition is fine, and you can get it used for cheap), and redo PreAlgebra next year in an easier text (BJU is great, you don't need dvds for prealg., your son will think he died and went to heaven!).

Again, your year went just like mine did with ds back then, and the problem wasn't ds, it was the CD!!!

:iagree: Very good advice here!! These stories sound eerily similar to my own. For my ds, he completed Ch.10 of Chalkdust, but his grades were not to my satisfaction. He is now breezing through Rod and Staff 8 and he'll pick up Algebra 1 in the fall. I bet if you found a high school level prealgebra book (as opposed to college level) and had him work through it, he would do well and it would build his confidence back up. If he works hard over the summer, he may surprise you and be ready for Algebra next year.

So, we just finished ch. 5 of CD. He did ok, but I don't feel he got it enough to move on. I'm thinking of getting the Key to... books for Measurement, Percent, Decimals, and maybe the first one or two for geometry and the first 3-4 for algebra. Would that prepare him for Algebra next year? Or should I get MUS or TT PreAlgebra and work on it all summer, skipping the parts he is ok with? He will actually be in 9th grade next year (he will be 14 in May). What are the good high school level algebra books? Is Forester's a college or high school book?

Thanks!

Edited by Kim in SouthGa

My ds used Foerster for algebra I and II with good results; however, dd struggled used Foerster in 8th grade. It is a rigous program. Ds is using CD precal now (with MUS to introduce the more difficult concepts).

DD began ps in 9th grade and has taken Advanced Algebra and is currently in Advanced Geometry and I can say that her classes were/are on the same level as MUS. They use an impressive text, but they omit a lot of sections and do the easier problems:001_smile:, so it is not all that it seems!

Kim---I agree with what the pp's have said---it sounds like you have him in a level he is not ready for. I did this with my dd in 6th grade, making her think she was stupid and she literally HATED math. We had been using MUS, and I switched her to Saxon 7/6. She should have been in 6/5----but I went by 'grade' level instead of ability. MUS was working GREAT---but I felt she needed a more 'rigorous' program. Well---long story short---we are back to MUS and she is now completing Algebra 1 in 11th grade! But she is getting it. MUS has a different scope and sequence and you need to know that Steve Demme teaches what he does the way he does for a reason----to make sure kids 'understand' what is going on. Why go for a more 'rigorous' program if your son has troubles with it and ends up hating math?