Menu

Singapore's Discovering Mathematics

Is anyone using Singapore's newer program - Discovering Mathematics? Reviews?

I'm thinking we will use DM 7 instead of Dolciani Algebra next year. Singapore math has worked really well for us. It is possibly the only curriculum we have been using the full seven years we've been homeschooling. Is it enough by itself? It doesn't have the extra books we have always used (IP and CWP.) I suppose I am looking for some positive reviews before I spend $100+ on math curriculum after already having the Dolciani materials ready to go. :)

I guess this program is still too new. :)

When I posted this a day or two ago I was completely unaware of the Art of Problem Solving program. After reading through their website and reading all of the back threads I could find - it sounds to me like AoPS is basically an extreme version of Singapore's CWP/IP for the upper levels. :D

So, here is our new plan (if 7th grade goes well):

7th - Discovering Mathematics 1A/1B - then AoPS Algebra I over the summer

8th - Discovering Mathematics 2A/2B - then AoPS Algebra II over the summer

9th - Discovering Mathematics 3A/3B - then AoPS Geometry over the summer (and early fall)

10th - Discovering Mathematics 4A/4B - then AoPS Algebra III over the summer (and early fall)

I will purchase the Number Theory and Probability books for her to work through as she can on her own at home and leave it up to her whether she would like to take the AoPS Precalculus and Calculus classes her jr/sr years.

She hopes to take 3-4 math and 5-6 science classes at the local comm. college rather than the standard 2/2 (this will allow her to transfer to a university as a junior in the science program she is interested in) so she needs to prove a very solid and slightly advanced math background when she enters the community college.

This looks good to me, but I would welcome any thoughts or opinions.

We used ChalkDust Pre-Algebra after completed Singapore 6. Feeling dissatisfied with its word problems, I purchased Discovering Mathematics 2 and immediately regretted not using DM for pre-algreba. DM is like an extension of Primary Math series. The illustration inside has a more mature look: instead of two elementary kids talking to you or to each other about math, now it's two middle schoolers. Other than that, it has the same feel, the same setups, the same high quality word problems like PM. Another thing that is the same: not many practice problems. Each section has about 10-15 problems, each chapter review too has about 10 problems. If you are using it as your main program, and your student needs more practice, you will need to buy their workbook (only one for each level).

Your plan looks good. The only concern I have is that after your dd takes AoPS Algebra I (I am assuming the online course?), her ability will already pass the content of DM2. By the way, AoPS's online Algebra I covers the first half of the book Introduction to Algebra. But even so, it will make doing DM2 after that redundant.

We used ChalkDust Pre-Algebra after completed Singapore 6. Feeling dissatisfied with its word problems, I purchased Discovering Mathematics 2 and immediately regretted not using DM for pre-algreba. DM is like an extension of Primary Math series. The illustration inside has a more mature look: instead of two elementary kids talking to you or to each other about math, now it's two middle schoolers. Other than that, it has the same feel, the same setups, the same high quality word problems like PM. Another thing that is the same: not many practice problems. Each section has about 10-15 problems, each chapter review too has about 10 problems. If you are using it as your main program, and your student needs more practice, you will need to buy their workbook (only one for each level).

Your plan looks good. The only concern I have is that after your dd takes AoPS Algebra I (I am assuming the online course?), her ability will already pass the content of DM2. By the way, AoPS's online Algebra I covers the first half of the book Introduction to Algebra. But even so, it will make doing DM2 after that redundant.

Thank you! After looking through the program, my thoughts were similar. The lack of practice problems even with the one workbook per level does concern me. I think doing only AoPS would be too much for dd. It would move too fast. But, I'm afraid DM might not be enough. I was wondering whether doing Algebra I after DM 1 might be too early. In that case, perhaps this would be better:

7th - DM 1

8th - DM 2 and then online AoPS Algebra I class over the summer

9th - DM 3 and then online AoPS Algebra II class over the summer (2nd half of book)

10th - DM 4 and then online AoPS Geometry class over the summer and into the fall

11th - Comm. college and maybe online AoPS Algebra III class through the year

12th - Comm. college and maybe online AoPS PreCalculus class through the year