Menu

"having a bilingual child is expensive, mom!"

Last weekend, my daughter was invited to two birthday parties. One was mainly homeschooled English kids, and the other French kids. She realised she was the only one invited to both!

So we had to buy two gifts for the same weekend. Yeah, bilingualism has a cost! LOL!

Just wanted to share and make you smile :)

My dd is a language 'nut' (like your children, it seems) and the huge cost for me is language curriculum. Is it my imagination or are most of them EXPENSIVE?!

So I'm not sure if your post makes me smile or weep ...??? okay...........:001_smile:

Well... Just wait... Yours are still young. They haven't started traveling much by themselves. The problem with having children who have disovered they can learn other languages is that they then want to go places. Lots of places. Lots of far away places. Frequently. And they may well marry people in those places and then your family will be split and spend all spare money and all vacation time on family time (thinking of most of the exchange students we know). We haven't gotten to the marrying part yet, but we have already discovered that we created something of a monster when we taught our children they could travel. Last spring and summer alone, not counting my husband's business trips, added all together members of my immediate family flew seventeen times (eight of which were across the Atlantic), bought two Eurail passes and several other train tickets, walked hundreds of miles, took several ferries, sailed through a large protion of Maine and back, and took a boat from icebergs in the north down to Puerto Rico and back. Oh - and bought a plane ticket for a Buddhist nun. This was not inexpensive. Educational perhaps, but not inexpensive. Just wait...

-Nan

LOL! Nan...

I come from a family of airline pilots. My dad, my brother, my cousin and my son's godfather are all pilots. My cousin is a stewardess.

As a teen, I travelled extensively. Airlines were free or almost free for us. I've spent every summer of my teens in Europe! My sister went christmas shopping for a weekend in Paris. I went to a wedding (just the weekend!) in Belgium.

We know "travel" ;-)

Our own daughter has a penchant for Spanish, and has home schooled her kids in Spanish daily. The "extra" expense has been several weeks in Mexico for the whole family annually. Pity!

Hey, you should try Spain one year!

Just trying to help! Hee hee! ;)