Menu

Course descriptions

HI!

Has anyone written out course descriptions for their high school classes? If you have, would you care to share what you wrote? I'm starting on ours and thought I might be re-inventing the wheel here. :) I'm plugging away over here and wanted to get my descriptions down now before summer comes and then the rush of school again. And I am kinda at a lost as to how to word them. I don't want to have to write 4 years worth overnight for some college :001_huh:. I'm working on math, science, latin, and foreign language.

Thanks!

HI!

Has anyone written out course descriptions for their high school classes? If you have, would you care to share what you wrote? I'm starting on ours and thought I might be re-inventing the wheel here. :) I'm plugging away over here and wanted to get my descriptions down now before summer comes and then the rush of school again. And I am kinda at a lost as to how to word them. I don't want to have to write 4 years worth overnight for some college :001_huh:. I'm working on math, science, latin, and foreign language.

Thanks!

I sort of just list the course contents by what is in the text, then list what is required for course completion. I also will look how the on-line courses are described and then I adjust and fine tune it to fit my course.

For example:

Geometry: Covers basics of geometry, reasoning and proof, perpendicular and parrallel lines, congruent triangles, properties of triangles, quadrilaterals, transformations, similarity of polygons, right triangles and trigonometry, circles, area of polygons and circles, surface area and volume. Course includes daily lessons, assignments, 2-3 quizzes per chapter, and four exams.

Text: Geometry: Reasoning, Measuring, Applying, 2001, by Larson, Boswell, and Stiff. ISBN 0-395-93777-9

English 10: Composition and Grammar: In this course, the students focus will be analyzing and applying various writing techniques. Lessons will cover: Personal Writing, Writing Techniques, Descriptive Techniques, Narrative Writing, Expository Writing, Persuasive Writing, and research paper. Each lesson will include analyzing literature excerpt of various published writings. Students will also review and practice grammar and vocabulary skills. Students will complete a minimum of 10 short writing projects, and one research paper.

Text: Glencoe Writer’s Choice Grammar and Composition, 2001, ISBN 0028181492, with Glencoe Writer’s Choice Grammar Practice Workbook, Glencoe Writer’s Choice Composition Practice, and Glencoe Language Arts Vocabulary Power Workbook... all for grade 10.