Menu

BJU geo in 4 years??

I would like my son to take a geography class but don't want to spend a whole year on it. I thought perhaps I could break it up into four sections and add it as an elective. We use the WTM cycle, so he will end up with a lot of social studies credits (Ancient (1.0), Middle Ages (1.0), Ref/early modern plus gov (1.5), and modern plus economics (1.5), then the geo for a total of 1.0 credit. But he is planning to major in history or international studies, so I figure that is a good thing. Or I could split in in two so he gets 1.5 credit social studies each year. What do you think?

Well, after trying to do World History in one year over here, I would say skip it..... no one cared about it on my ds transcripts when he applied to college. If I had done that, at least I would have had two years to do World History (I came into WTM late with a 10th grader). You have plenty of credits already. You could get an easier geography (A Beka, or other, BJU is a very full year), and look at maps while you do your other history. See what others say about him wanting to be a history major. There is a geography course at my son's college, so if he has to take it there, then you know you can skip it now.

If he is majoring in International Studies I think World Geography would be very important to have in high school. We use the BJU book and I think that breaking it up over 4 years would be spreding it too thin. If he is interested in Geography let him check out library books to read over two years and do the BJU book over two years. It has 29 chapters. You could take 2 weeks to cover each chapter without adding a lot of time into your school day.