Menu

Real-life math problems?

Is there a resourse for real-life math problems? It just seems so stupid to work 100's of math problems without knowing why. :banghead: I would like for my ds to learn two things:

(1) What need led to the discovery of certain math concepts?

(2) What is a real-life use of the different types of problems?

ot just word problems (when will the trains collide?) but real life!

I am certain there is a REASON behind math. Is there such a resource?

Thanks,

Tracie

Let him build something. He'll use the Pythagorean Theorem to get true squares, and his fractions will get a workout with the measuring tape. You can also have him convert dimensions from standard to metric. You can also have him measure your home in various ways. Interior square footage, percent of lot that's built on, how many squares is your roof - using from ground measurements and rise, etc.. People in construction use math daily. How many yards of top soil, item 4, gravel do you need ... how many yards of concrete for a walkway or driveway ... how much lumber to order for a project - how many board feet are needed ...

Another way to use math is when making purchases. In the supermarket, compare different sizes and prices and with larger items figure in percent off in one store vs another. Figure out the change you'll get back from purchases. Figure out the cost of driving somewhere figuring in the cost of gasoline, car maintenance items, insurance, etc..

Lots of real life ways to see the importance of good math skills. :)

I believe Zaccaro has a book titled Real World Algebra.

I also downloaded a pdf that had real world application and each booklet was a topic I believe. I'll try to look it up later. The one I have is trying to figure out which cell phone plan is the best given different usage.

I'm currently looking through a used copy of a program called Mathematics: Modeling Our World. The entire 4-year program is structured as a series of units on real world problems. The ninth grade book, which I'm looking through now, has: cryptography; land satellites and their use; prediction and surveys; animation and special effects; modeling wildlife populations in the field; testing systems, their statistical use, pros and cons.

It's difficult math. My husband, who is a chemist and has also taught higher math and thermodynamics, says it makes the kids stop and think and talk things through, rather than learn how to go by rote through a particular algorithm. It also has kids think about what kinds of math they might need for these particular kinds of problems instead of always feeding them problems meant to practice the algorithm or topic they just learned.

Cap't Uhura:

Believe it or not, the teacher's edition does not have the answers. There must be a separate answer manual. This was my first exploratory investigation and I just went for what I found cheap on amazon used. In my opinion the teacher's edition does not give you enough extra stuff to justify it as well as a student's book. I'd go for the student book and an answer manual and call that good -- so far anyway. But I really like the overall approach and the way the whole course revolves around real work in the world that requires various uses of higher mathematics.

They have a fairly extensive website: http://www.comap.com