Menu

DePauw

gcindy

My son has been accepted to DePauw. It is a little out of our reach because of our EFC. We made and appeal, and were told that all the money had been distributed, and that my son could take out a loan for the difference. He REALLY wants to go there. It is a very good fit for him. Our state university would mean less debt and a very good program. What to do?

I'm not sure, but my son will be declining his offer from them in about 10 days, and I feel that others will, too. Is it possible to ask that if they have others who decide not to go to DePauw that they perhaps then reconsider their offer to those who DO want to attend? I think it's a terrific school! (I wish I could have talked my son into going there, or to nearby Wabash.....)

May I ask why he has decided to decline? And, where did he decide on?

I realize that every school is not a good fit. And sometimes it just can't be explained. My son's first choice was a school that he had wanted to go to for quite some time. We really didn't think too much about DePauw, but after a visit, it became his number one choice.

My daughter's friend goes there. She's enjoyed her experience and will graduate this year. She's been accepted into Teach for America. I've heard that DePauw has a big social life on campus. I know there are lots of frats and sororities--which will cost even more and most kids are in one I think. Also, I've heard it's a major party place.

Another person I know had a son attend a good LAC (Kenyon). He's graduating with a liberal arts degree of some kind with loans, too, but don't know how many. He was a top student but couldn't find a job for anything. Finally, he got accepted into some sort of public service program (I think it might be like a Teach for America but not teaching :confused:). Anyway, he's getting something like $800 a month w/o housing. He's been told for food, he gets to go on food stamps. :001_huh:

Edited by Violet

Kenyon is a very fine school. Job placement rate is always a good thing to ask about when deciding to attend a school, and asking how active their alumni association is. You paid for the brand, so you might as well find out if you want to wear it proudly! At a good school, alums will help new students get their foot in the door in their respective careers.

We were at Depauw on a weekend where there was major celebrating. My husband, son, and I were rather amused. We were there during the height of partying. The Depauw staff and the coach my son was visiting warned the parents that it would be a party weekend.

I have to say...it was very mild (compared to our state universities) and the drunks were very polite. We live in a major university town. That being said, stupid people do stupid things...and that will happen anywhere. I'd much rather have it out in the open, it's easier to monitor.

Small colleges in the middle of no where tend to have a very active Greek system. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The Greek system now stresses community service. Usually a college in a small town is a major employer. Many times the locals see it as a "them & us" kind of deal. The Greek systems work hard to bridge the two communities.

At Depauw, we meet several students who are not part of the Greek system. I asked if it excluded them in any way. They all replied that it wasn't like high school, it didn't make a difference and that they were all welcome to come party with them (or not:001_smile:), or hang out at the house at any time.

The students at Depauw impressed us as being very self assured and very focused. They study hard, they take their classes seriously, and they like hanging out discussing....whatever.

The President of the University showed up at the coaches grill-out that evening. My son said he was very engaged and fit right in with the students. He knows most of them by name. We heard all sorts of stories about him that weekend, all good...from faculty, staff, and most of all, the students. He wants everyone to make a difference.

Internships are a part of the four year experience, networking with professional alums is encouraged and facilitated. Their job placement rate is very high.

Just taking a year off after college and working two minimum wage jobs while living (and eating) at home, can get a student out of debt quickly. It's wrong to encourage our kids to take on the debt without having a plan in place for them to pay it off.

Kenyon is a very fine school. Job placement rate is always a good thing to ask about when deciding to attend a school, and asking how active their alumni association is. You paid for the brand, so you might as well find out if you want to wear it proudly! At a good school, alums will help new students get their foot in the door in their respective careers.

We were at Depauw on a weekend where there was major celebrating. My husband, son, and I were rather amused. We were there during the height of partying. The Depauw staff and the coach my son was visiting warned the parents that it would be a party weekend.

I have to say...it was very mild (compared to our state universities) and the drunks were very polite. We live in a major university town. That being said, stupid people do stupid things...and that will happen anywhere. I'd much rather have it out in the open, it's easier to monitor.

Small colleges in the middle of no where tend to have a very active Greek system. That's not necessarily a bad thing. The Greek system now stresses community service. Usually a college in a small town is a major employer. Many times the locals see it as a "them & us" kind of deal. The Greek systems work hard to bridge the two communities.

At Depauw, we meet several students who are not part of the Greek system. I asked if it excluded them in any way. They all replied that it wasn't like high school, it didn't make a difference and that they were all welcome to come party with them (or not:001_smile:), or hang out at the house at any time.

The students at Depauw impressed us as being very self assured and very focused. They study hard, they take their classes seriously, and they like hanging out discussing....whatever.

The President of the University showed up at the coaches grill-out that evening. My son said he was very engaged and fit right in with the students. He knows most of them by name. We heard all sorts of stories about him that weekend, all good...from faculty, staff, and most of all, the students. He wants everyone to make a difference.

Internships are a part of the four year experience, networking with professional alums is encouraged and facilitated. Their job placement rate is very high.

Just taking a year off after college and working two minimum wage jobs while living (and eating) at home, can get a student out of debt quickly. It's wrong to encourage our kids to take on the debt without having a plan in place for them to pay it off.

It sounds like you know what direction you are heading in. :001_smile:

I agree that debt is not always necessarily bad. My oldest will have it. She's in a 6 year Pharm.D. program. No way around it for us. We thought about it very carefully beforehand, too. Her program has 100% job placement for pharmacists. Starting salaries are hefty. So, we felt the debt was okay and there were no other comparable programs with less debt when considering her merit scholarships. I also agree, the Greek system isn't a necessarily bad thing--I was in a sorority myself. Wouldn't do it again, looking back on it, but that's just me.

Best wishes!

Edited by Violet

The other private (exclusive, highly selective, and larger....grad schools) LA school that we looked at and were seriously considering, reeked of entitlement. The school culture was so different from Depauw. My son spent a weekend there. All of us were very turned off by it.

The students didn't really seem to take their education seriously. Were they smart....oh yeah! But, not very many that I would like to know personally!