Menu

What percentage of the workshops at your homeschool convention are education-related?

razorbackmama

I think for those of us who want a more teacher-training, academic conference, we have to prepared to pay a bit more than many conferences cost. If you consider what the Veritas, ACCS, or Circe conferences cost (admission, not counting hotels), it's quite a bit more than the larger, vendor driven conferences. You're actually paying the speakers more directly for their time and expertise.

Jami

:iagree:(Hi, Jami!)

I've been listening to last year's CiRCE conference on CD ... it costs significantly more on CD than the Cinci convention costs to attend, but they are absolutely wonderful talks. I also listened to a math talk (available free from wordmp3.com) last week that encouraged me and gave me ideas of methods and ideas of how to teach math classically (and Christianly). I'm now debating the ACCS MP3s from last year, again that cost significantly more than Cincinnati.

I think for those of us who want a more teacher-training, academic conference, we have to prepared to pay a bit more than many conferences cost. If you consider what the Veritas, ACCS, or Circe conferences cost (admission, not counting hotels), it's quite a bit more than the larger, vendor driven conferences. You're actually paying the speakers more directly for their time and expertise.

Jami

Well yes but I don't think that people are saying they feel there should be intensive product training in the way those teacher training programs are. I think they are looking for more 'how to homeschool', 'how to avoid burnout', 'things to think about in the future - college, high school etc'. Rather than 'Does God think your daughter's skirt is too short'.

As far as Veritas goes, I do know their true teacher training is expensive but they are having a free open house in May and their workshops are:

1) Classical Christian Education 101:

2) Teaching History and Bible:

3) Getting it all in with little ones

4) Omnibus

5) their scholars and online academy

To me that is what workshops should be like. They can be Christian - but focus on education. It is a homeschool convention after all.

Heather

Okay, in defense of the people who run and set up the homeschool conferences, there are a few things that you are probably not aware of. ( I help run one of these conferences.) If I was not helping with the convention, I would only be attending the vendor hall, but I am just not a person to sit in workshops.

1. Homeschool conferences, especially those in convention centers, are very expensive to put on.

2. It is the vendors fee that pays for the conferences. This is just a fact. You have to fill the vendor hall. Each year there are numerous homeschool vendors, especially smaller ones, that are going out of business. There are also a number of homeschool vendors, again mostly smaller ones, that in this economy have either stopped or severly limited the number of conferences they attend. Vendors tell us all the time that is their online sales that keeps them in business. So this is why there are vendors such as Juice Plus.

3. I agree as far as homeschool topics. I try and push for homeschool topics at our conference, but I am not always successful. The setting up of the speakers or workshops is not my responsibility. But, if you ever look on websites of homeschool speakers, even one you would definitely call academic, you will see that most speakers offer both academic and motivational. One that comes to mind is Steve Demme of MUS. He offers about a dozen different workshops. Of those, only 2 or 3 have anything to do with Math. The rest are motivational. (these numbers are coming from memory, might not be exact, but very close)

There are a few things you can do:

1. Keep filling out the evaluation forms. This is important. This is the only way to get your opinions across. But you need to know that there is a large group of people that like the motivational speakers.

2. We try to encourage our attendees to buy at the conference. This is so very, very important. It is the sales at the conference that keeps the vendors coming back.

Okay, that's all. Just thought you might want a different perspective. I do agree with numerous of your points, but sometimes there are factors that you just are not aware of. As far as holding smaller conferences, the problem there is vendors want numbers. Especially in this economy, they pick and chose what conferences they attend by the number of people attending.

Hope this helps you see a different side.

I understand this but it's a catch-22. For me to go, even for the day, to a homeschool convention I have to drive to Richmond - almost 2 hours away. Assuming I don't stay over night - and only shop and go to workshops for that one day - I'm still paying to get in and for gas and wear and tear on my car. That pretty much eats up any savings I get for buying my curriculum at the convention or getting free shipping. If the workshops were more worthwhile, I'd consider it worth the expense. If I'm only going to shop- I'll probably save myself the drive and just order online.

Heather

My biggest complaint about our AZ convention as well. I know that every single year a bunch of comment on about this on our evaluation form, but I guess we are in the minority.

:iagree:

I went once a few years ago and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily, I did get to hear Marcia Somerville (TOG) speak, but the rest really grated on my nerves. This year Andrew Pudewa (IEW) will be speaking, which would be nice to hear, but I don't think I really want to pay $62 to hear him. (Especially since it looks like some of the topics are available for downloading on their website already.)

Well yes but I don't think that people are saying they feel there should be intensive product training in the way those teacher training programs are. I think they are looking for more 'how to homeschool', 'how to avoid burnout', 'things to think about in the future - college, high school etc'. Rather than 'Does God think your daughter's skirt is too short'.

YES. THIS.