Menu

x-post: need help from protocol/ettiquette mavens! TIA

(some CC here, too, but it is beside the point.)

I am working on wording for dd's graduation invitation and announcement. B/c we are printing our own, I'm going to make two versions, one for local family and friends to go out immediately as an invitation to the graduation, and one to go out a bit later to long distance family and friends as an announcement only.

Here's the text so far. I'll take recommendations/opinions on it if you'd like to offer them, but the part I need help with is the very last line. I don't want people to feel obligated to bring or send gifts. When we got married, almost 25 years ago, people used to put notes along the lines of "your presence is all the gift we desire" or "the joy of your presence will be our gift" or something along those lines. See the trend? I'd like something graciously worded to let your friends know that they are not obligated to bring or give something, you'd just like to invite them and for them to be happy along with you.

I've googled it, but it seems that now days, the only recommendation is "No gifts, please." That seems so....terse. Is it because it is now too much of a gift to ask for someone's presence at a graduation?

Help?

With thanks to God for his leading

and His enabling grace in her life and education,

we joyfully announce the High School Graduation of

Lovely Daughter's Name

Because you are an important part of the loving circle

of family and friends that has blessed us on our journey,

it is our joy to invite you to celebrate with us at her graduation.

She will graduate at the Commencement of the Class of 2010

with friends from Our City Christian Home Educators,

on Saturday, May 15, 2010, two in the afternoon.

at A Local Church,

777 South West Highway, Suburb, State

Hubby and Valerie Lastname

No gifts, please.

This will probably show up with double spacing in the text. Sorry!!!

Would it be possible to include a small extra slip of paper that requested a letter written to your daughter? Asking them to write a letter of blessing to her, or a letter with a favorite story about her, or a letter with a favorite memory? Something NOT printed on the invitation itself. I would relish the idea of doing this for someone. So much more meaningful than a card. And so much more priceless than a gift of "stuff."

Just FREE advice:D