Menu

New here with question: PLL/ILL or R&S????

Shanaudria

I am torn between using Serl's books or Rod & Staff English.

I've used both over the years and liked them both for different reasons. I eventually settled with Rod & Staff because it seemed more educational/academic.

I'm sitting on the fence about this because I *want* to use Rod & Staff, but my 10 and 11 yo boys are struggling with the 4th grade English book right now. I am thinking of switching them to ILL, but don't want to give up on Rod & Staff too hastily.

I don't want school to be "too easy" for them, yet I don't think being "too hard" is a good thing either.

As someone who's never used Rod & Staff but owns PLL and is using it next year, I can tell you that from what I've seen, PLL is gentle, but doesn't sacrifice thoroughness. If your dc are not learning with R&S, it doesn't matter how rigorous it is. Perhaps an approach like ILL would be more beneficial. ILL (and PLL) even comes in workbook format through Living Books Curriculum.

My 11 yo boy is struggling with R&S 4 this year also. We hit a brick wall and have not been able to get past it. So, I am finishing the year with FLL 3. (already had it on the shelf) The approach is gentle, but thorough. If I were you, I would take a look at it. The change in approach has been a breath of fresh air at our house.