Menu

VideoText Algebra and Geometry

sheryl

My dd is way to young, but I'm keeping my eyes open on the boards b/c I believe I'll use VT Algebra and Geometry. I've heard many good things about it. But I have Questions:

1. At this level I'm "assuming" it teaches to mastery.

2. Is it for any student? Students who are strong OR weak in math?

3. Is there a best approach....A 1, G, A 2?

4. What age range for A1/algebra 1, same for G and A2?

5. There are dvd's....is it all independent at these levels?

6. Do they use pencil/paper or is all of it computer-based?

7. There are books I believe...are they consumable? Is there enough space to "work" the problems/equations.

Thanks. Sheryl <><

PS....Check with me if you're selling these in the next year or so at a good price.

Waiting to read replies!!!

I haven't used VT myself yet, but plan to in the future. If you do a search for "Videotext" then you should get a lot of threads coming up. I know there were some excellent ones a while back. It seems the reviews are very mixed on the program, with some kids doing great with it and others not so much. Some parents love it (one mom even said her hubby is a rocket scientist and was really impressed with the program), and others aren't so crazy over it.

Haven't used it, but I spent three hours listening to Tom Clark at the Midwest Convention. We will be using it this coming year.

I can tell you what he said:

He believes strongly in finishing Algebra before doing Geometry. The Algebra program is Pre-, Alg I, and Alg II. You would do all of it over 1-2 years, and you give credit for Alg I and Alg II. Then you do the Geometry, which also covers Trig, which is just the last bit of Geometry. The Alg I, Geom, Alg II, Trig series was set up for the convenience and needs of a school setting, as he explains it, and homeschoolers don't need to follow that mangled sequence.

You watch a 5-15 minute bit of the video. Then the student works problems. There are several books for each module. One is the notes, one is the problems (not enough room to work out problems in them, so not really consumable,) one is solutions, and I think there is another book. :confused:

I was looking for something for my second dd who really does well in math. I am going to use it with my humanities-loving older dd, too, though. I really want them to have some time in high school for statistics and maybe a math-intense economics course, and compacting Alg I and Alg II will help accomplish that.

Haven't used it, but I spent three hours listening to Tom Clark at the Midwest Convention. We will be using it this coming year.

I can tell you what he said:

He believes strongly in finishing Algebra before doing Geometry. The Algebra program is Pre-, Alg I, and Alg II. You would do all of it over 1-2 years, and you give credit for Alg I and Alg II. Then you do the Geometry, which also covers Trig, which is just the last bit of Geometry. The Alg I, Geom, Alg II, Trig series was set up for the convenience and needs of a school setting, as he explains it, and homeschoolers don't need to follow that mangled sequence.

You watch a 5-15 minute bit of the video. Then the student works problems. There are several books for each module. One is the notes, one is the problems (not enough room to work out problems in them, so not really consumable,) one is solutions, and I think there is another book. :confused:

I was looking for something for my second dd who really does well in math. I am going to use it with my humanities-loving older dd, too, though. I really want them to have some time in high school for statistics and maybe a math-intense economics course, and compacting Alg I and Alg II will help accomplish that.

Thanks Angela...much appreciated!! Sheryl <><

I haven't used it yet either, but intend to with ds starting next year. I have the first three modules of algebra all ready to go. As the previous poster mentioned, your child (and you if you can) watch the short lesson, discuss, go over the notes (this is in a separate book), child works half the problems (on paper) in the set (all odd or even), checks it with the solutions manual. If they appear to have a problem. they review the lesson again and can go back and do the other half of the problems. The next day they start with a quiz on the previous days material and do the next lesson with the above mentioned steps.

They would do all of Algebra and then move into Geometry and do all of that. From what I understand, there is no way to determine where algebra 1 stops and algebra 2 starts because things are inter-mixed. So it doesn't follow a traditional scope and sequence.

After the student completes all of the modules of both programs the author says you can claim credits for pre-algebra, algebra I, algebra II, geometry, pre-calc. I'm not going to claim pre-algebra because it is only one module, not long enough in my mind to claim a credit.

As far as if it is for a student strong or weak in math, I have heard it both ways. That it is only for a strong math student, but others have claimed it worked well for a math hater. I hope it is good for a math hater because that is what I have. I picked this one because my ds would not sit for a long lecture, as some of the other programs have. I need to keep it short and sweet for him. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

I'm looking at this too. My dd, the artist, HATES math. HATES. Math. Would never do it if I didn't force her. She liked the fact that the lecture was only 15 minutes, as opposed to the Abeka or BJU videos that were 45 minutes. She isn't a strong math student. I'm hoping this will work.

My oldest did VT Algebra. This was when he was in 8th and 9th grades, and he's a freshman in college now. It was before they had the DVD's, in fact, just as they were switching over from VHS to DVD. They didn't have the Geometry yet.

Anyway, it worked very well for my ds. He was able to go through it, if there were any problems, dh helped him. He did ABC in 8th, and DEF in 9th. It worked fine for him that way. We could've pushed him more, but wanted to make sure he got it before moving on. He struggled a little in the last module, and dh also felt it wasn't done as well. But that could've just been us.

He went through Pre-Calc in Highschool and did college pre-calc first semester this year. He did so well on the work throughout the semester that he didn't have to take the final! He had a 99%. So, I'd say VT was a good program for him and helped strengthen his knowledge base so he could continue on successfully!

My oldest did VT Algebra. This was when he was in 8th and 9th grades, and he's a freshman in college now. It was before they had the DVD's, in fact, just as they were switching over from VHS to DVD. They didn't have the Geometry yet.

Anyway, it worked very well for my ds. He was able to go through it, if there were any problems, dh helped him. He did ABC in 8th, and DEF in 9th. It worked fine for him that way. We could've pushed him more, but wanted to make sure he got it before moving on. He struggled a little in the last module, and dh also felt it wasn't done as well. But that could've just been us.

He went through Pre-Calc in Highschool and did college pre-calc first semester this year. He did so well on the work throughout the semester that he didn't have to take the final! He had a 99%. So, I'd say VT was a good program for him and helped strengthen his knowledge base so he could continue on successfully!

I'm looking at this too. My dd, the artist, HATES math. HATES. Math. Would never do it if I didn't force her. She liked the fact that the lecture was only 15 minutes, as opposed to the Abeka or BJU videos that were 45 minutes. She isn't a strong math student. I'm hoping this will work.

I haven't used it yet either, but intend to with ds starting next year. I have the first three modules of algebra all ready to go. As the previous poster mentioned, your child (and you if you can) watch the short lesson, discuss, go over the notes (this is in a separate book), child works half the problems (on paper) in the set (all odd or even), checks it with the solutions manual. If they appear to have a problem. they review the lesson again and can go back and do the other half of the problems. The next day they start with a quiz on the previous days material and do the next lesson with the above mentioned steps.

They would do all of Algebra and then move into Geometry and do all of that. From what I understand, there is no way to determine where algebra 1 stops and algebra 2 starts because things are inter-mixed. So it doesn't follow a traditional scope and sequence.

After the student completes all of the modules of both programs the author says you can claim credits for pre-algebra, algebra I, algebra II, geometry, pre-calc. I'm not going to claim pre-algebra because it is only one module, not long enough in my mind to claim a credit.

As far as if it is for a student strong or weak in math, I have heard it both ways. That it is only for a strong math student, but others have claimed it worked well for a math hater. I hope it is good for a math hater because that is what I have. I picked this one because my ds would not sit for a long lecture, as some of the other programs have. I need to keep it short and sweet for him. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

Thanks ladies....all of you! My dd HATES math too....that's why I'm starting NOW to find the best fit for algrebra and geometry. Eventhough it's about 2 years away...I need to plan now. So glad to hear your stories and my dd is not the only one who hates math. She writes it in her math book, she speaks it...."I HATE MATH!". Sure hope she isn't dreaming this...:glare:

Blessings. Sheryl <><