Menu

The Argument Builder

Has anyone used the 2nd book in the Veritas Press series, The Argument Builder? I'm pretty sure it follows The Art of Argument. We're using that along with Fallacy Detective this year and I'm trying to find a follow-up for next year. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks!:001_smile:

I've used it. It can be used as a follow-up to Art of Argument, but you don't have to use AoA in order to use Argument Builder. It's a bridge text between Logic and Rhetoric. Students learn to build an argument based on Aristotle's Common Topics. Fallacies are lightly covered therefore if you have an older student and don't have the time to complete AoA you can easily use AB. Examples in the text are often taken from ancient thinkers or classic literature. It is a very good beginning rhetoric program.

Thanks for the info. Have you used the 3rd one, BTW? Would you recommend that or going with something else at that level?

No, I haven't used The Discovery of Deduction, I think it just came out in the last month or two. I've downloaded the sample, but haven't had a chance to look it over yet.

Could you call the the Argument Builder an "Intro. to Rhetoric" course on a high school transcript, or would you just classify it as a logic course? Any idea on credit value?

I think either is fine. I called it Intro to Rhetoric and assigned 1/2 credit.

Thanks, Karen! I just thought of something else. Hope this doesn't sound too stupid: did you still do a separate composition course the year you did the Argument Builder, or does that count for that portion of the yearly english requirement? Hope that makes sense.

Yes, my dd did it last year and I don't like CAP's line up of logic books at ALL! There is not enough direction, IMO, for teacher or student. It's very confusing to schedule, grade, etc. I much prefer MP's Traditional Logic, Material Logic combined with Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox. In fact, the Bluedorn books do a MUCH better job at dealing with fallacies etc. than the CAP books we have used----AB and Argument Builder.